• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade my Tales to Astonish #93 - The Silver Surfer!

46 posts in this topic

Scan looks like a 7.5. Book might be an 8.0 if that lower crease is REALLY light when you have the book in hand. Probably not, but maybe.

Scan looks like a 7.5. Book might be an 8.0 if that lower crease is REALLY light when you have the book in hand. Probably not, but maybe.

I would have said 7.5 if it was one clean light crease. But it's mutiple creasing.

That's not your scan is it David? Looks washed out. I'd say 7.0/7.5

I got mine out and scanned it and the colors looked much better than yours but I have a crease in the same corner as yours. I didn't even see my crease until I scanned it and blew it up to match your size.

I got mine out and scanned it and the colors looked much better than yours but I have a crease in the same corner as yours. I didn't even see my crease until I scanned it and blew it up to match your size.

Clare,

That's my scan - I don't amp up the colors like other board members poke2.gif The light gray background is from the scanner bed, and the scanner is set at "true color" without any correction. hi.gif

Clare,

That's my scan - I don't amp up the colors like other board members poke2.gif The light gray background is from the scanner bed, and the scanner is set at "true color" without any correction. hi.gif

The colors look perfect to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

What kind of scanner do you have, David? To your knowledge, can you make those adjustments on an HP Officejet 7110? My scanner is too heavy on the yellow according to RedHook.

Would I have said VL, if I didn't mean VL? 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif Once again, the real positives of this copy do not translate very well in scans. Admittedly, it's a 3/8" to 1/2" corner crease, but the book is tight!

Arguably, the best SS cover of all time! 893applaud-thumb.gif

hi.gif

Would I have said VL, if I didn't mean VL? 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif Once again, the real positives of this copy do not translate very well in scans. Admittedly, it's a 3/8" to 1/2" corner crease, but the book is tight!

hi.gif

So what is your grade? 8.0? I'd have to see the book in person, but I could see 8.0 as a possibility if the gloss and colors are as-new and the crease looks lighter in hand than in the scan. This book has virtually the EXACT same wear as my FF#25 CGC 9.2 did, except for the lower right corner.

Clare,

The colors look perfect to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

What kind of scanner do you have, David? To your knowledge, can you make those adjustments on an HP Officejet 7110? My scanner is too heavy on the yellow according to RedHook.

My scanner is an HP 7350C or 7450C, I can't remember which. With the scanning software that comes with you have several default color selections, much like you have with a monitor. The "true color" default is the one with the most color variables, as opposed to say a 16-bit or 64-bit display. I'm not sure what your options are on the 7110, but look for a "true color" default setting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

hi.gif

So what is your grade? 8.0? I'd have to see the book in person, but I could see 8.0 as a possibility if the gloss and colors are as-new and the crease looks lighter in hand than in the scan. This book has virtually the EXACT same wear as my FF#25 CGC 9.2 did, except for the lower right corner.

Yes, I'd give it a solid 8.0 with O/W. It's from a recent run of TTA's I picked up (#87-100) and unfortunately, it's the lowest grade of the run (or fortunately 27_laughing.gif) The #91 (killer Abomination cover) is a 9.0+, BUT it has a 2mm chip to the ULFC that is hanging on - just slightly larger than your typical bindery flaw.

I would have said 7.5 if it was one clean light crease. But it's mutiple creasing.

I still think a 7.5 is a sure thing even with those multiple creases in the LRC. The rest of the book is really tight, and an 8.0 would not surprise me if that LRC looks like what I suspect it looks like in person. Those kinds of creases tend to look worse in scans than in hand.

Hi

I don't enhance mine any at all. I use a Epson Photo 2450 on manual only so I can set dpi and target size. I never use any masks like sharpen, they add too much noise.

Color difference

I wasn't speaking to you on that Clare, just putting the thought out there. I see what you mean. Your scan looks a little rich in the cyan area - unless you think it is accurate (take off those shades when your grading!) The colors on yours are "deeper" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

By the way, here's a link to a big scan of the FF#25 if you want to see the defects. They really are similar. Just the lower right corner is the biggest difference.

http://www.datazap.net/sites/fantasyfootballbono/ff25nm92.jpg

bejesus, that's a niice book - have I seen that one? hail.gif

Yeah, I showed it to you at the first comic dinner I had at my house. Since sold to BleekerBob.