• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie query :)

7 posts in this topic

Is there any way to look up a graded comic without knowing its registration number?

Might sound like a daft question at first, but there's a comic that has been added during this week's census that I would like to check on. I know exactly which comic it is (hence knowing it's just appeared) but because I don't yet know what number's been assigned to it I can't search for it directly.

Why aren't the search listings (i.e. the tallied quantities of CGCed comics on the data base, sorted by grade) clickable, such that you could then see a list of what each (say for example) Superman #400 was numbered and pick out the one you want to see the details of? Seems like a gap in the available info that must be sitting somewhere in the CGC database?

Just wondering if I'm missing a trick or I am stuck until I actually receive the comic back and see the registration number.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but if you're asking why there isn't a full searchable database for you to look up the details and pictures of property that OTHER PEOPLE OWN, well it doesn't exist, and I wouldn't hold my breath on that coming.

But if someone CHOSE to add their book to the registry AND post pictures, you might be able to check which sets in that category have recently added books, and that might give you what you need.

What I mean is -

The CGC database seems to be split into two parts, or at least has a gap within it.

First, there's the record of all comic titles. This includes how many of each title have been CGCed, how many are signatures, qualified, etc. Since the data changes each week it's also possible to know when new books are added. However, if you browse all this data you can't look up individual books that have been CGCed; only how many of each issue/variant have been.

Second, there's the related but not fully linked-up database of individually CGCed comics. You input a CGC registration number, and from that can check on the details of a single book.

So for example - let's say I go to a convention with two copies of Wonder Woman #600. I get Jim Lee to sign one copy, and Gal Gadot to sign the other. A friend then witnesses the event and submits the two comics to CGC for grading.

Six weeks later, I can plainly see on the CGC database that two new signature series entries of Wonder Woman #600 have appeared. One is graded 9.8, the other 9.0.

The comics I had signed were rare variants, so due to that plus the timing I'm almost completely certain that the two new books on the database are mine. Being impatient, I want to know which one got the 9.8 grade.

From what I can tell, I can't find this information until I get the books back. The information is however already right there in the database - as soon as I know the registration numbers I can input them into search to pull up both records and find which one received the higher grade. However, by then I'll know anyway, since the comics will be sitting in front of me. Without the registration numbers I'm stuck, because the little number '1's shown in the 9.8 and 9.6 columns on the database for my specific variant of Wonder Woman #600 can't be clicked to probe deeper into the information.

I don't see this as being a privacy issue - the information is clearly already there in the database. Typing in a registration number results in a display of basic info such as grade, who signed the comic, when it was signed, at which event, etc. There are no pictures of information stating who owns the comic or why it received a specific grade, etc.

The gap in the information (assuming I'm not just being daft and missing something obvious) means that someone can't look up a series/issue to see who has signed copies of it. For example, say there are 50 CGCed Signature Series copies of Wonder Woman #600 in total. How many have been signed by Gal Gadot? Or Lynda Carter? Or J.M.Straczynski? Did anyone have a laugh and get Stan Lee to sign a copy? At the moment the only way to sift through that info would be know each individual registration number of each signed copy.

If you submitted the book, you should have the cert number ? As soon as the book is shipped, you can use the cert number to look the book up. Everything you stated above, how it works, is correct. The census does not give any detailed information. No shortcuts. 

sounds like at least part of your question has to do with whether or not you can tell who signed CGC SS comics without their certification number.  Well....you can't.  The cert number itself is private information that generally can't be known unless it is shared by the owner.

Like Bomber-Bob said above, there's no shortcuts to this info, therefore you should beware of people making claims about how rare some signed books are with some creators/artists/actors.

2 hours ago, Casby said:

So for example - let's say I go to a convention with two copies of Wonder Woman #600. I get Jim Lee to sign one copy, and Gal Gadot to sign the other. A friend then witnesses the event and submits the two comics to CGC for grading.

Ask your friend for a copy of the invoice used to submit the books or just the invoice number.  That invoice number is the registration number that will appear on the label.  Book #1 has the 01 suffix, Book #2 has the 02 suffix etc...  I think bomberbob was saying this but may not have clearly stated that the invoice number = certification number

Edited by bababooey
I'm responding to the specific example which may or may not be relevant :shrug: