• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good vs Evil - a second annual sales thread for Roshni
4 4

153 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

Welcome to the second annual sales thread for Roshni.

If you have been following my thread, Tales from the Island of Serendip in the Gold Forum, you will be aware of Roshni, a small group of courageous teenage girls and young women who fight for women's rights in Rajabazaar, one of the poorest and most crowded parts of Kolkata.

Here is a link.

Out of the Dark

Last year fellow boardies  raised $3811 including donations through a sales thread to launch the Luke Holland Scholarships. The scholarships are named in memory of Luke Holland. He was, like Roshni, a light bringer. He helped people all over the world, and died tragically young - murdered in a random, senseless shooting in a Berlin street. 15 scholarships were offered to young girls at risk of being married off too young - and illegally - by desperate parents. It is also hoped that among them will be Roshni's next generation of committed volunteers.

Arshi Khatoon - Ashrina Zurain - Farha Jahan - Kainat Parvin - Kanis Fatima 1 - Kanis Fatima 2 - Nikhat Parvin - Zeenat Parvin - Ramsha Khatoon - Sana Tahsin - Sumaira Nasim - Gulafsha Khatun - Md Farhid - Siddiqa Warsi - Shoiba Khatoon

'My name is Ashrina Zurain. I study in class viii. I have my papa and a elder brother he studying in class 10. My father who work of eye glass cutting and I and my mummy also help him in this work. We have one house and we are staying two families and this house is in the name of my uncle that's the reason why my father is working very hard to get a new own house. I like singing and dancing and I want to be a singer but my uncle is not ready to give permission in this he don't like this he also threat to my father if I do work on this so he will tell us to leave this house , sometimes my father discuss about this and try to tell me that don't do this but my mother is so supportive to me she said do what u want.

'I like very much to go in Roshni youth group centre because whatever event happen there I take part in that events. Once I got a chance to perform in a event that call PEHCHAN very big event that was in hall in that event I performed as a singer my parents also in that event to see that and they started crying and told me to go ahead I will not going to forbid you again and I'm so thankful to Shahina Api to giving this big opportunity to proven my self in front of many people specially my parents.

'I'm getting scholarship from Roshni youth group centre I'm so thankful of Roshni group thank you so much.....'

This year, Roshni faces a bigger financial struggle, and their funding target is Rs 290,000 ($4250). This includes their rent (Rs 60,000), new funding for Legal Aid to support battered wives (Rs 50,000), and Rs 180,000 for an increase to 18 scholarships @ Rs10,000 each.

As you will read if you follow the link, Roshni has made remarkable progress in the past year, and regardless of the pressure they are coming under from traditionally minded men who see nothing wrong in marrying young teenagers, they are determined to carry on. Their efforts are nothing short of heroic. When Ashrina was threatened by a local hooligan, she was defiant, saying she would attend Roshni no matter what. She recognizes that Roshni is the only chance most of these girls have of a brighter future.

Roshni is the Bengali word for Light. If this is not a battle between Good and Evil, Darkness and Light, please tell me, what is?

Together, let us help Roshni to fight the darkness.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO HELP?

This is a difficult time of year financially for many of us, and we are all constantly bombarded by earnest requests to help this or that worthy cause. Now I have shamelessly become one of the bombardiers.

I will begin posting items.

I would also like to invite any boardie who wants to help Roshni with these scholarships by posting collectibles you no longer need, to help achieve this target.

HERE'S HOW IT WORKS

Post your item with the price you want it to sell for, and specify whether postage is required. You can offer free postage if you wish. Also whether offers are welcome.

When your item sells, I will contact the buyer. The sale price will be paid directly to my PayPal account. I will cover all PayPal fees so Roshni receives the full amount paid. If postage is required, I will ask the buyer to pay this directly to the seller, who will then ship the item.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM BASED IN THE UK SO WILL NEED TO CHARGE SOMETHING FOR INTERNATIONAL POSTAGE.

:takeit: wins over pm's.

ALL OF THE MONEY RAISED WILL GO TO ROSHNI. This will be done by International bank transfer once the thread closes. As I said last time, if we fail to make the target, I'll rob a bank. Herer's hoping I don't have to.

Let's kick off with a very scarce early Lois Lane #4. Very pretty book with full gloss and a tight spine. Cream pages. It would be in the vf range if not for slight water damage. There is a very faint water stain bottom left of the front cover, and a larger one on the back cover which has caused a light ripple for a couple of inches. This penetrates a few of the back pages.

A professional dealer had this at fvf, but I'm calling it a fine, asking $175, but as with all my listings, will listen to offers. I'll ask for a contribution of $15 towards postage anywhere in the world. SOLD!

20180127_112707.jpg

20180127_112519.jpg

20180127_112540.jpg

20180127_112556.jpg

20180127_112656.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo

Nice lot of IW/SUPER Comics, which reprinted gold and atomic age comics in the early '60's.

Strange Planets #12 fvf [reprints Avon's Rocket to the Moon]

Strange Planets #18 fn [reprints Approved Comics #6]

Dr Fu Manchu fn [reprints Avon's Mask of Dr Fu Manchu]

Great Action Comics #8 vf- [reprints Phantom Lady #15, Baker art]

Daring Adventures #15 vf- [reprints Avon's Hooded Menace]

Please note that interior covers are not reprinted

How about $125 shipped anywhere in the world.

20180127_123721.jpg

20180127_123728.jpg

20180127_123753.jpg

20180127_123758.jpg

20180127_123814.jpg

Another decent reading lot of classic reprints. Asking $60 shipped SOLD

Fantastic Adventures #11 fn+ [reprints Blue Bolt Weird Tales of Terror #116]

Eerie #15 fn [reprints Blue Bolt Weird Tales of Terror #113]

Strange Mysteries #15 vf- [reprints Dark Mysteries #23]

Jungle Adventures #15 vf- [reprints Jungle Comics #152]

Doll Man #17 [reprints Doll Man #28]

Danger #17 fn+ [reprints Scoop Comics #8]

Danger #10 vf [reprints Great Comics #1]

20180127_123739.jpg

20180127_123747.jpg

20180127_123803.jpg

20180127_123808.jpg

20180127_123819.jpg

20180127_123826.jpg

20180127_123833.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo

Fleetway war-themed digests.

War Picture Library #151 to #191 (41 issues) from an OO collection that was gently read and carefully stored. Value approximately $300 to $350.

Offered here for $235 shipped. (I also have #1 to #150 if anyone is interested - please inquire)

wpl.jpg

Planet Comics #25 incomplete, durn it. This was a Heritage purchase some years ago, and it took a while to realize that the 6 page Norge Benson story had been neatly removed!

Apparent VG, with slight unevenness from exposure to damp (not soaked or stained), and nice off white pages. 1" tear to bottom of back cover. And just look at those cover colors! Man, was I disappointed!

Sooo - what to price it at? Decisions, decisions. Because it's so attractive, I'm going to ask for $150 shipped, but feel free to try and talk me down from the ledge if that feels to much!

20180127_155947.jpg

20180127_155958.jpg

4 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Let's kick off with a very scarce early Lois Lane #4. Very pretty book with full gloss and a tight spine. Cream pages. It would be in the vf range if not for slight water damage. There is a very faint water stain bottom left of the front cover, and a larger one on the back cover which has caused a light ripple for a couple of inches. This penetrates a few of the back pages.

A professional dealer had this at fvf, but I'm calling it a fine, asking $175, but as with all my listings, will listen to offers. I'll ask for a contribution of $15 towards postage anywhere in the world.

20180127_112707.jpg

20180127_112519.jpg

20180127_112540.jpg

20180127_112556.jpg

20180127_112656.jpg

Lois 4 :takeit: