• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will rust expand on paper if it was transferred by another book?

34 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, James Lawry said:

I am looking at a CGCd book that has a small rust spot in the back, but the staples on the book are perfect. The seller says the rust spot is likely from being laid in top of another book that had rusty staples.

Would this rust spread or not since it is not on the staples at all?

6EEAFF69-F719-491B-8CDE-6EEC432FDE41.png

I concur that the rust spot was from the book underneath in the stack, it will not spread. However, I have found that 'usually' the book itself will have some rust on the staples. It makes no sense if a stack of books were stored in a high humidity area, one book would be free of rust and the one immediately underneath would have rust. It may have rust on the centerfold, it may have rust underneath the staple, but I bet it has rust. Also, this copy looks pretty fried on the Back cover. Look at all the dark along the spine. Not a book I would buy. Sorry.

7 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I concur that the rust spot was from the book underneath in the stack, it will not spread. However, I have found that 'usually' the book itself will have some rust on the staples. It makes no sense if a stack of books were stored in a high humidity area, one book would be free of rust and the one immediately underneath would have rust. It may have rust on the centerfold, it may have rust underneath the staple, but I bet it has rust. Also, this copy looks pretty fried on the Back cover. Look at all the dark along the spine. Not a book I would buy. Sorry.

Good to know! Thank you!

18 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

What do you think about this one, I know it isn’t the closest pic but would rust be closer to the spine? Kinda looks like dirt to me but not sure

EB514C8E-CEDE-4402-987C-EDD1B42D915F.png

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Don't think that is rust. It almost looks like an indentation, not a stain ? (shrug)

Mmmkay here is one more I am looking at.  Looks pretty good, but I noticed there is a vertical line that goes down the left side of the spine, kind of intersecting with the staples.  Is that a sheet of plastic inside the case you think?  I don't think there is anyway this book would get an 8.0 if that was something else.  

Also do all the little white dots on the dark parts (including the one right on his head) look like dust/lint on the outside of the case?

I would normally message the seller but it is mycomicshop and I have never been able to get them to message me back :/

227case.jpg

2 hours ago, James Lawry said:

Mmmkay here is one more I am looking at.  Looks pretty good, but I noticed there is a vertical line that goes down the left side of the spine, kind of intersecting with the staples.  Is that a sheet of plastic inside the case you think?  I don't think there is anyway this book would get an 8.0 if that was something else.  

Also do all the little white dots on the dark parts (including the one right on his head) look like dust/lint on the outside of the case?

I would normally message the seller but it is mycomicshop and I have never been able to get them to message me back :/

227case.jpg

That vertical crease, parallel to the spine, looks like a reader's crease. Comes from opening and closing the book too much. I agree with you that, if that is a crease, the book should not be an 8.0 . I can't see how it could be a sheet of plastic inside the case. I do think some of those other spots are actually on the case.

I don't know what to tell you. Does mycomicshop have a return policy ? If not, I would not chance it.

8.0?!? With that book length flaked spine crease, weak paper surrounding the staples and top rhc separating?  :whistle: 

If that is a crease and it certainly looks like one, first thing I'd do is to examine the integrity of the slab. Assure that it's sealed tightly, no signs of tampering, cracks, or glue holding it together.

Edited by James J Johnson

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

That vertical crease, parallel to the spine, looks like a reader's crease. Comes from opening and closing the book too much. I agree with you that, if that is a crease, the book should not be an 8.0 . I can't see how it could be a sheet of plastic inside the case. I do think some of those other spots are actually on the case.

I don't know what to tell you. Does mycomicshop have a return policy ? If not, I would not chance it.

Good heavens how in the world is that an 8.0.  Ok thank you, will avoid.  I think my best bet is the one I posted above with that dirt on the back.  Just waiting for the guy to confirm it is not rust

Thanks again!

40 minutes ago, James Lawry said:

Good heavens how in the world is that an 8.0.  Ok thank you, will avoid.  I think my best bet is the one I posted above with that dirt on the back.  Just waiting for the guy to confirm it is not rust

Thanks again!

Good Luck !

58 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Good Luck !

Ok I am going to bug you for hopefully the last time, but you have been super helpful so I appreciate it.  Here is another old label I have had my eye on.  I noticed that you can kind of see through the batman logo onto the next page.  Is that pretty normal for lighter colors in CGC cases?

batman 8.0.jpg

10 hours ago, James Lawry said:

Ok I am going to bug you for hopefully the last time, but you have been super helpful so I appreciate it.  Here is another old label I have had my eye on.  I noticed that you can kind of see through the batman logo onto the next page.  Is that pretty normal for lighter colors in CGC cases?

batman 8.0.jpg

Fairly common depending where the micro chamber paper is placed   

27 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Fairly common depending where the micro chamber paper is placed   

Thank you!

Looking at the one I posted above with the little dirt spot on the back by the spine, would you agree that that is most likely not rust?  Looking at my own 227 and where the staples are I just don't see how it could be.  Sorry to be annoying in this thread guys but I have wanted a high grade 227 for a long time and am about to drop like $500 so I want my bases covered....

227back.png

14 hours ago, James Lawry said:

batman 8.0.jpg

That's okay, not a problem. As Joey mentioned, it looks like they didn't use the MC paper inside or placed it badly. I like this copy. Old label goodness.

36 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

That's okay, not a problem. As Joey mentioned, it looks like they didn't use the MC paper inside or placed it badly. I like this copy. Old label goodness.

I like this copy too but he is asking $750 for it, whereas this 7.5 (this is the one with dirt spot thing on the back) is $450...

on this one I noticed there is a smudge to the right of Batman’s shoulder so I need to see if that is reflection or an actual smudge on the book:

21265EBE-B4E2-4EB0-B9C1-8ACEB08DB8FC.png

7 minutes ago, James Lawry said:

I like this copy too but he is asking $750 for it, whereas this 7.5 (this is the one with dirt spot thing on the back) is $450...

on this one I noticed there is a smudge to the right of Batman’s shoulder so I need to see if that is reflection or an actual smudge on the book:

The 8.0 asking price of 750 is crazy high ?!? The 7.5 @ 450 is better but still a little aggressive. Why don't you put a WTB request on the Boards ? Also, if you can be patient, wait for something in auction. You may get a better price. 

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The 8.0 asking price of 750 is crazy high ?!? The 7.5 @ 450 is better but still a little aggressive. Why don't you put a WTB request on the Boards ? Also, if you can be patient, wait for something in auction. You may get a better price. 

Yeah I’d go way low on the 8.0 for an offer. I’m ok with the $450 as long as that isn’t a fingerprint by Batman. Maybe i should do a WTB request...good idea