• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will rust expand on paper if it was transferred by another book?

34 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The 8.0 asking price of 750 is crazy high ?!? The 7.5 @ 450 is better but still a little aggressive. Why don't you put a WTB request on the Boards ? Also, if you can be patient, wait for something in auction. You may get a better price. 

Hi Bob!  

The seller got back to me with better pics of the spot on the back as well as the staple.  I attached them below.  Based on how good that staple looks and the positioning of that spot on the back, would you agree that is not rust?  I am going to pull the trigger on this one I think and just wanted your opinion

227back.jpg

227staple.jpg

3 minutes ago, James Lawry said:

Hi Bob!  

The seller got back to me with better pics of the spot on the back as well as the staple.  I attached them below.  Based on how good that staple looks and the positioning of that spot on the back, would you agree that is not rust?  I am going to pull the trigger on this one I think and just wanted your opinion

227back.jpg

227staple.jpg

Staple definitely looks good. I still don't know what that spot is. I vote go for it !

2 minutes ago, James Lawry said:

Sweet thank you!  I am going to assume someone laid it down on something yucky or something.  Rust wouldn't show up that far from the spine on the back tho right?

Remember my previous comments were that it could be from the comic directly under this book, in the stack. Often, books are not stacked neatly, so it could be a spot of rust but it doesn't look like rust.  What did the seller think it was ? Ask him for notes. Or just get the book. Sometimes you just have to say WTF and go for it.  You do seem anxious for a copy of this issue. I am a believer of let the books come to you. Nothing worse than settling for a copy and then seeing a better one come along. Why don't you see if you get some response from your WTB thread ? This is a nice copy, either way you should be fine.

3 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Remember my previous comments were that it could be from the comic directly under this book, in the stack. Often, books are not stacked neatly, so it could be a spot of rust but it doesn't look like rust.  What did the seller think it was ? Ask him for notes. Or just get the book. Sometimes you just have to say WTF and go for it.  You do seem anxious for a copy of this issue. I am a believer of let the books come to you. Nothing worse than settling for a copy and then seeing a better one come along. Why don't you see if you get some response from your WTB thread ? This is a nice copy, either way you should be fine.

Thanks again, I went ahead and purchased.  These books in this grade seem somewhat rare on eBay and I wanted a good Batman display piece for my collection, which is why I have been pretty excited to get it.  

The seller sent pics up close and said he didn't believe it was rust either since it was so far from the staple and the staple looked great.  If it is just some dirt or rust from another old book I'm not worried about that.  You have been super helpful btw I really appreciate it.

On 1/29/2018 at 12:18 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

One more question (I think).  I already bought the book and it is in the mail, just wondering what this rounded...mark thing is above the top of the lower staple.  I asked the seller if the lower staple was rust free and he said yes, and Rust migration would be pretty orange and directly next to the staple, not in a weird curve like this.  I am thinking a small stain maybe?  Thoughts?

The staple itself is pretty silver which you can tell in if you aren't zoomed in so much (the zooming drops the res a bit)

Also if you are ever in Salt Lake I will buy you a beer for how helpful you have been :)

227bottomstaple.jpg

Edited by James Lawry

1 hour ago, James Lawry said:

One more question (I think).  I already bought the book and it is in the mail, just wondering what this rounded...mark thing is above the top of the lower staple.  I asked the seller if the lower staple was rust free and he said yes, and Rust migration would be pretty orange and directly next to the staple, not in a weird curve like this.  I am thinking a small stain maybe?  Thoughts?

The staple itself is pretty silver which you can tell in if you aren't zoomed in so much (the zooming drops the res a bit)

Also if you are ever in Salt Lake I will buy you a beer for how helpful you have been :)

227bottomstaple.jpg

I honestly don't know what that is but I suspect you are correct, a stain of some sort.  To be certain, you will have to wait until the book is in hand. Hopefully, someday, I will take you up on that beer ! 

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I honestly don't know what that is but I suspect you are correct, a stain of some sort.  To be certain, you will have to wait until the book is in hand. Hopefully, someday, I will take you up on that beer ! 

lol thank you!  I was looking at pics of rust migration and they all expanded from the staple out, so I figured it had to be a stain or a crease.  Rust coming out from the staple would look more like this travesty *shudders*:

rust.PNG

On 1/31/2018 at 8:53 AM, James Lawry said:

227bottomstaple.jpg

Ever been to that weird used book store called Salt Lake City Books and Magazine in the heart of downtown? Opens at 3:30am (!?) every morning.

was visiting the city about 2 months ago and get up early and was checking out his store around 4am. Totally weird tripped out experience. 

Nice looking Bats by the way. Congrats. 

On 1/31/2018 at 11:06 AM, Bomber-Bob said:

Got the book today and it looks great!  

The spot on the back I think is a rust stain from a book that was underneath it at one point.  To confirm my suspicions, that stain would not just magically spread on its own right?  Since none of the staples on this book have rust I figure I am fine (I inspected them closely, they are great)

6 minutes ago, James Lawry said:

Got the book today and it looks great!  

The spot on the back I think is a rust stain from a book that was underneath it at one point.  To confirm my suspicions, that stain would not just magically spread on its own right?  Since none of the staples on this book have rust I figure I am fine (I inspected them closely, they are great)

Congrats. What's that rounded spot above the lower staple ?

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Congrats. What's that rounded spot above the lower staple ?

It's just a crease in the spine that was a weird color in the pic he provided.

So you think that spot on the back is fine?  Won't spread like some sort of rusty-paper cancer?

Edited by James Lawry