• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales #140 (1966)
1 1

9 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

top left corner crease looks like it goes all way thru book...back looks really good except for some wear down the spine but very clean.....looks like some rounded corners....some tics on the spine with color break... colors are very nice........i'm gonna say 7.0

Not with the water spot (top right, back cover). I think it's serious enough to bring an otherwise 7.0 down into the CGC 5s.

i thought that was a folded corner ? How come I can't notice this water spot ? What am i missing Triple J ? I can't tell that's a water spot ....I'm a dumb dumb  ..i guess i don't really know what a water spot looks like. It doesn't help that i've never even heard the term ( Water Spot ) It's never mentioned in my grading talking points review book i refer 2.

1 hour ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

i thought that was a folded corner ? How come I can't notice this water spot ? What am i missing Triple J ? I can't tell that's a water spot ....I'm a dumb dumb  ..i guess i don't really know what a water spot looks like. It doesn't help that i've never even heard the term ( Water Spot ) It's never mentioned in my grading talking points review book i refer 2.

I can see it being mistaken for a fold or crease, or even a missing piece altogether if that part of the back cover was darker than the pages! Let's not forget, a few weeks back, on another book, I erroneously thought the back bottom left cover was a stain when it was actually stated by the owner that it was a missing piece, and I skimmed over that part. it sure looked like a stain with a tide line and it was a piece! The disadvantage we're all at here is having to assess in 2 dimensions when grading is a three dimensional endeavor. We don't get to flip and flop it, turn it, change our perspective, angle appropriately to a light source, or any of the things we can normally do with the book in our hands to reveal all the flaws and assess all of the defects for exactly what they are. Grading is subjective and grading from scans, in two dimensions, through at least 4 layers of glass/plastic is haphazard at best. One can make educated guesses at best because almost as much is unseen as it is seen!

Edited by James J Johnson

Thank you both for your response. The stain doesn't look too bad at all in real life . . . but I understand that it is a major downgrade. That is one of the reasons I wanted to get feedback and your input is appreciated. Thanks!