• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant Comics bought out by DMG Entertainment

23 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, FormerReader said:

This is very disappointing as a fan of not just Valiant, but Dinesh.  Nobody treated their fans better.  I believe Dinesh would want the fans to continue to support the company that means so much to him. 

That's true.  Dinesh loved the Valiant universe and brought it back from the dead.  He doesn't want it to die.  He basically had his "baby" taken from him, so he should be mad, but he wouldn't want anything bad to happen to the baby.

13 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

So i guess the whole story hasn't come out yet?

The whole story probably won't come out.  The lack of details from any of the former Valiant insiders is probably a reflection of non-disclosure agreements.  DMG has promoted some of the long-term Valiant guys, weekend news says that Editor-in-Chief Warren Simons is leaving, and DMG has hired new people (most recently Mel Caylo and Joe Illidge).

If I had to guess about the current direction of Valiant, I would say that the publishing of Valiant High as a printed comic - which is a kid-friendly Valiant "expanded/elseworlds/alternate" story, and the hiring of Joe Illidge means that DMG wants Valiant for all ages... which is an expansion of the Valiant standard (which has been closer to Vertigo than Teen Titans Go!).

That makes sense if the DMG plan is to "globalize" the Valiant characters. Star Wars made more money from kids merchandise than the movies, and it's possible to go "all ages" with serious themes, but you can't sell plush toys and action figures if little kids aren't allowed to read the books.  (Unless it's Deadpool, I guess.) lol