• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Marvel comics from Canada also US copies?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I’ve noticed some comics sold online are shipped from Canada, specifically the 80s X-Men/Wolverine issues. What’s the difference between a Canadian and US issue? Is there even a Canadian and US version or are they one and the same?

I’ve seen books from the UK and Mexico which have an obvious difference to them. 

Edited by finalfan7asy

10 hours ago, finalfan7asy said:

I’ve noticed some comics sold online are shipped from Canada, specifically the 80s X-Men/Wolverine issues.

??? Back issues are sold and shipped from wherever the owner is located. You can also buy American back issues from sellers from other continents.

11 hours ago, finalfan7asy said:

What’s the difference between a Canadian and US issue? Is there even a Canadian and US version or are they one and the same?

For the most part, there haven't been different versions produced for different regions. The most notable exception is Canadian Newsstand editions from the 80s, which were produced by Marvel from October 1982 - August 1986, DC from October 1982 - September 1988, and Archie from the early 80s - the early 90s. Direct editions at the same time were distributed everywhere. Direct, Newsstand, and Canadian Newsstand editions were all printed together.

Also, many American comics were printed in Canada.

11 hours ago, finalfan7asy said:

I’ve seen books from the UK and Mexico which have an obvious difference to them.

The vast majority of those different-looking (American publisher) comics that you see from other countries were not published by that American publisher, but licensed by a publisher in that region.

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

For the most part, there haven't been different versions produced for different regions. The most notable exception is Canadian Newsstand editions from the 80s, which were produced by Marvel from October 1982 - August 1986, DC from October 1982 - September 1988, and Archie from the early 80s - the early 90s. Direct editions at the same time were distributed everywhere. Direct, Newsstand, and Canadian Newsstand editions were all printed together.

Ok. If I purchase the direct edition (not the newsstand), It will be an American version right? 

The copy I’m looking at has been CGC graded and nowhere does it say “Canadian version” or something in addition to what one sold in the states has printed on the grade label.

I just don’t want three US versions and the one Canadian version in my collection of this specific run.

link to the copy I’m referring to:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/WOLVERINE-Limited-Series-2-Frank-MILLER-1982-1st-Full-YUKIO-CGC-NMMT-9-8/391915014790?hash=item5b3ff48a86:g:TfQAAOSwv-ZZ9StS

Edited by finalfan7asy

Again, they were all printed at the same time and in the same place. They were all published by the same U.S.-based company.

Direct editions were distributed to the Canada and overseas in addition to the U.S.

Buy whatever edition you prefer. It really doesn't matter to anybody but you.

17 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Again, they were all printed at the same time and in the same place. They were all published by the same U.S.-based company.

Direct editions were distributed to the Canada and overseas in addition to the U.S.

Buy whatever edition you prefer. It really doesn't matter to anybody but you.

Thanks for all the info!

On 1/30/2018 at 7:10 PM, finalfan7asy said:

I just don’t want three US versions and the one Canadian version in my collection of this specific run.

I find it odd that people make a distinction.

Many people don't realize that comics were printed in both Canada and the US. Canadian publishers would just ship their books to the US for distribution (and visa versa).

Ditto for UK editions. They were all printed on the same presses.

The only time you can tell a difference is if the price is different (or bar code, etc).

On 3/2/2018 at 5:50 PM, VintageComics said:

I find it odd that people make a distinction.

Many people don't realize that comics were printed in both Canada and the US. Canadian publishers would just ship their books to the US for distribution (and visa versa).

Ditto for UK editions. They were all printed on the same presses.

The only time you can tell a difference is if the price is different (or bar code, etc).

Thanks much!