• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM: Ghosts 1
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Please grade this copy of Ghosts #1.  Those are small tears at the bottom staple, and the lower right corner is bent.  I also wonder about the printing creases on the front and back cover.  How badly does a printing crease hurt the grade?  Thanks in advance!

GHST1FC.jpg

GHST1BC.jpg

GHST1FCSPINE.jpg

GHST1FCCORNER.jpg

GHST1FCCREASE.jpg

GHST1BCCREASE.jpg

Though everybody calls those pleats in the paper, "printing folds", they really have nothing to do with the printer. They are imperfections in the manufacturing of the reams of paper that go to the printer. The CGC doesn't detract much for them, if at all, unless we get into grades of 9.4 and up and especially on newer books, Bronze and up.

I see what looks like light staining on the back cover, some serious tears near the staples, emananting from the staple blades, a real good pull it looks like, and that bottom right corner as the main flaws. Overall a 7.0 to 7.5, a nice book, taking those flaws mentioned into consideration, relegating it to IMO a CGC 4.5 or 5.0 and that's assuming that when that front cover is opened up for a look inside the spine, those are tears at the bottom staple, actual ripped paper, and not just bad creasing. In this grade with those flaws considered, no extra deductions for the paper pleats.

18 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Though everybody calls those pleats in the paper, "printing folds", they really have nothing to do with the printer. They are imperfections in the manufacturing of the reams of paper that go to the printer. The CGC doesn't detract much for them, if at all, unless we get into grades of 9.4 and up and especially on newer books, Bronze and up.

I see what looks like light staining on the back cover, some serious tears near the staples, emananting from the staple blades, a real good pull it looks like, and that bottom right corner as the main flaws. Overall a 7.0 to 7.5, a nice book, taking those flaws mentioned into consideration, relegating it to IMO a CGC 4.5 or 5.0 and that's assuming that when that front cover is opened up for a look inside the spine, those are tears at the bottom staple, actual ripped paper, and not just bad creasing. In this grade with those flaws considered, no extra deductions for the paper pleats.

Thanks for the detailed info!  I really appreciate it!!