• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's It Worth?

7 posts in this topic

I have an Albedo #3 (Thoughts & Images) CGC 9.8 (4/85 White pages, 2nd App of Usagi Yojimbo) that seems to be pretty rare, at least I found CGC has only graded 4 out of 60 in 9.8 so far, 2 unsigned and 2 signed.  I don't see anything out there to compare and with a print run of 10,000 it seems there aren't many compared to others like Marvel or DC.  I am going to sell it and want to be fair but not stupid. :juggle:

Edited by GarBear

The book isn't remotely rare.  It may be very hard to find in 9.8. (slight difference) I have personally sold at least 15 copies of it. But none of them were 9.8s, true, all 9.0 - 9.4.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:35 AM, FlyingDonut said:

Last 9.8 sale was in 2012 for $150. My assumption, especially now, is that the price will be significantly higher. Give it to Comiclink and let them worry about it.

agree, just  pass it to an auction house.  OR if you have some time to sit on it, throw it on ebay for $300-350 BIN or offer (provided you already have an account), and see if you get an offer you like. 

19 hours ago, the blob said:

The book isn't remotely rare.  It may be very hard to find in 9.8. (slight difference) I have personally sold at least 15 copies of it. But none of them were 9.8s, true, all 9.0 - 9.4.

I'm confused.  And believe me, no argument from me.  I'm just wondering why when print runs of 300,000 was common back in the 80's by Marvel and DC against Image putting out 10,000 of Albedo 3 but this isn't a rare issue.  (I understand that the marketing of dealer limited purchases of 1:25; 1:50 etc. comics is an attempt to make a limited rare editions, hence making it a farce like the sports cards in the 80's having a rookie card 5 years after the guys first appearance.)  So what I understand you're sharing is that even though a 9.8 may be hard to find, even with a print run of 10,000, it's really not very rare, even stacking the production against each other?  I'm stumbling over the massive issues vs the limited issues by Image at the time.  Could you explain why selling 15 books (over some period of time) makes the issue pretty plentiful?  Although, a 9.8 has it's own merits as you agree.  Plus I'm stumbling with the fact the last PGA 9.8 sale listing was in 2012? I've been doing very well selling on MyComicShop and could go either way, meaning auction or a fixed price consignment.  Just really trying to get a fix on what I see as a pretty collectible comic that hasn't had an updated price for its condition in at least 6 years.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, GarBear said:

I'm confused.  And believe me, no argument from me.  I'm just wondering why when print runs of 300,000 was common back in the 80's by Marvel and DC against Image putting out 10,000 of Albedo 3 but this isn't a rare issue.  (I understand that the marketing of dealer limited purchases of 1:25; 1:50 etc. comics is an attempt to make a limited rare editions, hence making it a farce like the sports cards in the 80's having a rookie card 5 years after the guys first appearance.)  So what I understand you're sharing is that even though a 9.8 may be hard to find, even with a print run of 10,000, it's really not very rare, even stacking the production against each other?  I'm stumbling over the massive issues vs the limited issues by Image at the time.  Could you explain why selling 15 books (over some period of time) makes the issue pretty plentiful?  Although, a 9.8 has it's own merits as you agree.  Plus I'm stumbling with the fact the last PGA 9.8 sale listing was in 2012? I've been doing very well selling on MyComicShop and could go either way, meaning auction or a fixed price consignment.  Just really trying to get a fix on what I see as a pretty collectible comic that hasn't had an updated price for its condition in at least 6 years.  Thanks!

Relative to other stuff being printed then, yes, but 10,000 for a character that picked up steam (in a niche, sure) soon thereafter, so those issues probably got picked up out of bins and saved, not thrown away, isn't going to be "rare" in the sense we use it here. Anyway, there are 12 for sale right now on ebay and 8 sales that pop up on ebay, that's all I'm saying. I sold 15 in about 6 months. Rare in 9.8? Sure, I buy that. BIN it at $350-$500 like everyone here is saying....

Edited by the blob

7 hours ago, the blob said:

Relative to other stuff being printed then, yes, but 10,000 for a character that picked up steam (in a niche, sure) soon thereafter, so those issues probably got picked up out of bins and saved, not thrown away, isn't going to be "rare" in the sense we use it here. Anyway, there are 12 for sale right now on ebay and 8 sales that pop up on ebay, that's all I'm saying. I sold 15 in about 6 months. Rare in 9.8? Sure, I buy that. BIN it at $350-$500 like everyone here is saying....

I see what you're saying.  At the time it was the world of the buy it and bag it or put it in the dollar bin and forget about it.  Makes perfect sense from your additional thoughts.  Thanks!