• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dear CGC
1 1

10 posts in this topic

They can't do this because after its graded it goes through quality control and if there was a mistake made the customer may potentially be mislead until the mistake is corrected.  Right after quality control the book gets packed and the status is updated to "shipped/safe".  If anything maybe they should change "graded" to "in process" then change "shipped/safe" to "graded".

1 hour ago, Felipe zelaya said:

Dear CGC, can you guys please make a change on when you guys list the grades for viewing online; so instead of providing grades when it’s in “ship” status, provide then to us when it is on “graded” status. 

This has been brought up before. It used to be available upon grading but no longer. The initial assigned grade is not final until it's actually packed up and shipped. 

3 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

It used to be available upon grading but no longer.

Ahh...the good ole days. :cry:

I remember one time I submitted a 30 book invoice and saw the grades online. I wrote down the grades on my copy of the submission form. After waiting a number of weeks for them to ship, I called CGC. It turns out many of the books in my invoice were pedigrees. Not sure what they do now, but back then Mark Haspel would review every pedigree submitted. Mark was on vacation or something and when he finally reviewed them, as a final grader, he changed many of the grades on my books. I remember one in particular went from a 9.8 down to a 9.0. Many others were bumped up a tick, as if he was giving a pedigree bump for the freshness. Anyway, my point here, is that the grade can change. There can be an accident with encapsulation, QC may spot something, or the finalizer may override. I once remember someone on the Boards complaining that his 9.0 assigned grade was overriden by the finalizer to a 7.5 ! They don't even show the grades until the books are actually picked up and off the premises. No problems this way. To be honest, I think it makes sense and is for the better. 

On 2/7/2018 at 5:24 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I remember one time I submitted a 30 book invoice and saw the grades online. I wrote down the grades on my copy of the submission form. After waiting a number of weeks for them to ship, I called CGC. It turns out many of the books in my invoice were pedigrees. Not sure what they do now, but back then Mark Haspel would review every pedigree submitted. Mark was on vacation or something and when he finally reviewed them, as a final grader, he changed many of the grades on my books. I remember one in particular went from a 9.8 down to a 9.0. Many others were bumped up a tick, as if he was giving a pedigree bump for the freshness. Anyway, my point here, is that the grade can change. There can be an accident with encapsulation, QC may spot something, or the finalizer may override. I once remember someone on the Boards complaining that his 9.0 assigned grade was overriden by the finalizer to a 7.5 ! They don't even show the grades until the books are actually picked up and off the premises. No problems this way. To be honest, I think it makes sense and is for the better. 

How in the world does a 9.8 drop to a 9.0??

2 hours ago, mysterio said:

How in the world does a 9.8 drop to a 9.0??

The difference between a 9.0 and a much higher grade can be very slight and subtle. In this case, what looked to be a perfect book while viewing from the front, had a tear or something on the vertex of the spine. The graders didn't notice it but the finalizer did. Realizing this, it's crazy that buyers pay huge premiums for higher grades. In many cases, a book in 9.0 looks as good as a book in 9.8. Crazy.