• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Age Keys: Restoration vs. Conserved Question

2 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of submitting two books to be graded and had a few questions I thought I'd ask on the boards:

My Amazing Fantasy 15 is complete and seems to be about a GD - GD/VG range, the only thing being is that there is a piece missing from the back cover, specificially the back top left corner. About a 3 x 2" inch square that had been cut and replaced with a piece from the back cover of another book. The tape is yellowed and aged and it must have been done years ago but you can tell its from a different book because the interior cover ads don't line up along the cut. The ads on the back do line up however. 

Lastly, I was also planning to submit my Journey into Mystery 83. It is complete and seems to be in the GD/VG range. The problem with this one is that there are two staples added to the book. The original staples are still attached and the cover is loose at original and added bottom staple . The cover is attached at both the original and added top staple. This book is from an original owner who let his kids read them and it looks like it was done to prevent the cover from coming off at one point.

I was curious if anyone has submitted any books with any similar problems going on and how it effected the grading results. 

I'll try to add some photos later but wanted to ask now while I had some time.

Thanks

Edited by Ccmp99
Change to Title

On 2/12/2018 at 9:48 AM, Ccmp99 said:

I'm thinking of submitting two books to be graded and had a few questions I thought I'd ask on the boards:

My Amazing Fantasy 15 is complete and seems to be about a GD - GD/VG range, the only thing being is that there is a piece missing from the back cover, specificially the back top left corner. About a 3 x 2" inch square that had been cut and replaced with a piece from the back cover of another book. The tape is yellowed and aged and it must have been done years ago but you can tell its from a different book because the interior cover ads don't line up along the cut. The ads on the back do line up however. 

Lastly, I was also planning to submit my Journey into Mystery 83. It is complete and seems to be in the GD/VG range. The problem with this one is that there are two staples added to the book. The original staples are still attached and the cover is loose at original and added bottom staple . The cover is attached at both the original and added top staple. This book is from an original owner who let his kids read them and it looks like it was done to prevent the cover from coming off at one point.

I was curious if anyone has submitted any books with any similar problems going on and how it effected the grading results. 

I'll try to add some photos later but wanted to ask now while I had some time.

Thanks

Since they are both very low grade anyway, they are likely to get blue labels with notes on the flaws. However, the piece married from another book may get an apparent label. The staples added gets hit hard on the grade because the staples have introduced 4 new holes that permeate the whole book. The large piece missing from the back cover may put you into very low grade 1.8 territory. We would need to see pics of the books to give a better assessment.