• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM TOS 63 - grade is in

7 posts in this topic

I appreciate everyone's feedback. As I have said, I am new at grading and I miss a lot of things that as you guys point them out I say "how in the world did I miss that." Hope to be better at it soon so I can offer opinions on other books. Interestingly, I tend to see the flaws more clearly on scans than I do looking at the books themselves. 

5a8209adf0b1e_TOS63.thumb.jpg.c30f9aca8ed32ede81951e7476fb6856.jpg5a8209b566eda_TOS63-back.thumb.jpg.525d12dbc6887f3c66e19d04333ea0c8.jpg

Edited by vandybill
Grade received

This is an atypically nice 63. First off, the right edge manufacturing of these typically produces a serrated (sawtooth) right edge and this doesn't have it). There's some chipping bottom BC, a few spine breaks in the black, some stresses across the line on the BC, but overall, very solid, 8.0 Exceptional overall.

PS: If what looks like chipping on the bottom back cover is actually just part of the cover overhang pushed down and in, and the paper is all there, once corrected, hand-pressed, this could get up to 8.5, outside chance at 9.0.

Edited by James J Johnson

27 minutes ago, vandybill said:

Unfortunately it is indeed chipping. 

I was hoping it was just pushed in and back unevenly.  :wishluck:    Still, overall, a beauty, worthy of an 8.0. Like AS 57, most of these were machined so badly on the right edge, that even if perfect otherwise, with all the serrations, divits, and jagged progressions on the right cover edge right off the production line, they're no better than VF to begin with! This is a rare bird to escape that fate. Should pull an 8.0 considering the strengths on a whole.