• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Were staples ever removed and restapled on GA comics?

4 posts in this topic

I just bought an Unknown Worlds 13 from a guy who swears it came out of his dad's attic where it has sat for 65 years untouched (I have to admit it looks really nice, basically unread).

It has two sets of staples at the spine (upper and lower) that look original, but it also has two sets of staple holes about 3/8" in from the spine on the front cover with no staples in them.  The holes go all the way through the front half of the comic to the CF.

Most collectors might cry foul, that something fishy is going on here, but to me it seems that perhaps the staples were in such a bad location that they pulled them at the bindery and restapled the comic.

Am I crazy or is this something that may have happened?  Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon before with other GA comics? And most importantly...... how will CGC look at this if I slab it?

a.jpg

To me it seems it's just a binding defect, it got stapled twice somehow, once in the wrong spot and whoever bought the comic pulled that one out. I have one badly stapled comic, I think it's a fox jungle comic, that is stapled so far in from the spine you can't even open it all the way to read it.

41 minutes ago, catman76 said:

To me it seems it's just a binding defect, it got stapled twice somehow, once in the wrong spot and whoever bought the comic pulled that one out. I have one badly stapled comic, I think it's a fox jungle comic, that is stapled so far in from the spine you can't even open it all the way to read it.

Hmmm, I didn't think of that.  

How do you think CGC would handle this comic?  "Bindery defect"?  

20 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Hmmm, I didn't think of that.  

How do you think CGC would handle this comic?  "Bindery defect"?  

I couldn't say, I never have had anything slabbed or know much about grading. Someone else here would have to answer that.