• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics #27 CGC 9.2 (Extensive P) on ebay! Woo hoo Filter81!!!

66 posts in this topic

Any idea what the reserve might be?

Reserve is $96,000. I was originally hoping to use this book to draw attention to a run of Batman comics I was going to be listing but I ended up falling behind and didn't end up getting most of the Batman comics listed anyway. There have been lots of joy bidders and others messing with the auction which unfortunately I think has stopped the bidding from getting as high as it otherwise would have. I think I have weeded most of them out at least (along with at least 1 legitimate bid that I unfortunately removed) but we'll see what happens in the last 48 hours. I'd be a little surprised if a book this valuable ended up actually selling through eBay but I've got no doubt my price is reasonable so we'll see.... I'm sure if the book doesn't meet reserve on eBay, offers will start flooding in immediately after the auction ends.

Good luck on the auction, Filter. Those are some sweet, sweet, sweet books you have there! 893applaud-thumb.gif Is this one the crown jewel of your collection?

I can't believe that they are not more Batman fans out there that haven't hit the BIN on the issues 2-7 for just under $4,000. Pretty decent price for a decent run of comics, no?

I have no idea why but I had REALLY bad luck listing stuff this week. My reserve on the Detective was almost $10,000 less than 25% of guide. I didn't even get all that close to the reserve.. and the top bidders dont even seem to be all that interested.

The stuff I listed with no reserve (8.0-9.2 silver age batmans) went in many cases for under 30% of guide.. I couldn't believe it.

I'm surprised that Batman 2-7 auction hasn't been hit either. Maybe now's not the best time to be listing on eBay? confused-smiley-013.gif I need to get stuff sold so I'm trying to keep prices as low as possible, but this last month has probably been my worst sell-through percentage since starting on eBay a few years ago..

Is this one the crown jewel of your collection?

Yep. I definitely need to sell something soon but I would be more than happy to keep this book for a long time. Its w/out a doubt the nicest book I've ever owned. (Although the Marvel 1 CGC 9.0 R I bought is not too far away as second best.)

Is this one the crown jewel of your collection?

Yep. I definitely need to sell something soon but I would be more than happy to keep this book for a long time. Its w/out a doubt the nicest book I've ever owned. (Although the Marvel 1 CGC 9.0 R I bought is not too far away as second best.)

893whatthe.gifhail.gif

Scan pls. hi.gif

And can we see the back cover of the Det 27? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I can't believe that they are not more Batman fans out there that haven't hit the BIN on the issues 2-7 for just under $4,000. Pretty decent price for a decent run of comics, no?

I have no idea why but I had REALLY bad luck listing stuff this week. My reserve on the Detective was almost $10,000 less than 25% of guide. I didn't even get all that close to the reserve.. and the top bidders dont even seem to be all that interested.

The stuff I listed with no reserve (8.0-9.2 silver age batmans) went in many cases for under 30% of guide.. I couldn't believe it.

I'm surprised that Batman 2-7 auction hasn't been hit either. Maybe now's not the best time to be listing on eBay? confused-smiley-013.gif I need to get stuff sold so I'm trying to keep prices as low as possible, but this last month has probably been my worst sell-through percentage since starting on eBay a few years ago..

You're like the third person (not counting me) who I've heard say that it is a total buyer's market on ebay lately. Not just for high dollar golden age books either. All across the board.

You're like the third person (not counting me) who I've heard say that it is a total buyer's market on ebay lately. Not just for high dollar golden age books either. All across the board.

It was inevitable. Prices couldn't keep rising forever, and we're now starting to see some softening. Also, the vast majority of books sold on eBay are not one-of-a-kind, so as the same titles or issues keep re-appearing on eBay, buyers have realized that if they don't get it this time, they'll have plenty more chances, so they're willing to bide their time and be conservative in their bidding.

Jim/AweForOne mentioned elsewhere that there's a lot more RNMs on eBay these days, and I think that's because sellers, particularly sellers of more commonplace stuff, haven't readjusted their expectations to the new realities of the current eBay market. And that doesn't even include sellers who don't set reserves but start the auction at their minimum selling price. I've noticed a lot of those auctions closing with no bites.

As for this particular auction, I don't think eBay is a good place to sell six-figure books. It never has been, and I doubt it ever will be. Now that I think about it, has the sale of any six-figure book on eBay ever been successfully completed (i.e., payment made and book delivered)?

It was inevitable. Prices couldn't keep rising forever, and we're now starting to see some softening. Also, the vast majority of books sold on eBay are not one-of-a-kind, so as the same titles or issues keep re-appearing on eBay, buyers have realized that if they don't get it this time, they'll have plenty more chances, so they're willing to bide their time and be conservative in their bidding.

Jim/AweForOne mentioned elsewhere that there's a lot more RNMs on eBay these days, and I think that's because sellers, particularly sellers of more commonplace stuff, haven't readjusted their expectations to the new realities of the current eBay market. And that doesn't even include sellers who don't set reserves but start the auction at their minimum selling price. I've noticed a lot of those auctions closing with no bites.

As for this particular auction, I don't think eBay is a good place to sell six-figure books. It never has been, and I doubt it ever will be. Now that I think about it, has the sale of any six-figure book on eBay ever been successfully completed (i.e., payment made and book delivered)?

This is all true, but you are talking about high grade/high dollar books. Even some of the inexpensive silver and bronze high grade stuff (early Tomb of Dracula non-keys, late silver age non-Adams Green Lantern, stuff like that) isn't selling, even when discounted sometimes as much as 50% or more off of guide. For those, it isn't a matter of pricing having risen too high, too fast. They never were expensive in the first place.

Ewert is at every major show with Tom Brulato going from booth to booth inspecting raw books. He's not set up, but he's an unmistakable presence, as is Brulato -- It's like watching Sancho Panza (Ewert) follow around Don Quixote (Brulato).

jason Ewart no longer does conventions? i know i havnt seem him for 8 years or so at important shows...is he only on ebay now?

I wish I had seen those SA Batmans, and especially that they would sell for those prices.... do you have comparable raw SA DCs?

This is all true, but you are talking about high grade/high dollar books. Even some of the inexpensive silver and bronze high grade stuff (early Tomb of Dracula non-keys, late silver age non-Adams Green Lantern, stuff like that) isn't selling, even when discounted sometimes as much as 50% or more off of guide. For those, it isn't a matter of pricing having risen too high, too fast. They never were expensive in the first place.

Softness across the board? 893whatthe.gifThe event that's name shall not be spoken is finally here!

Please note the time and date and the fact that I was the first one to accurately call it. insane.gif

I wish I had seen those SA Batmans, and especially that they would sell for those prices.... do you have comparable raw SA DCs?

lol I wish you'd seen 'em too. I can't believe the prices those books finished at. Honestly I wish I hadn't listed them.. I don't want to really sell them at those prices. That'll teach me to list books at $1 with no reserve 27_laughing.gif! I do have some other SA Batmans that I didn't get a chance to list. There's one or two still on eBay with "Submit Best Offer" options and then I have a few that I haven't listed yet including 227 (copy of the 'Tec 31 cover) Send me a PM if you want to talk grades/prices

Softness across the board? 893whatthe.gifThe event that's name shall not be spoken is finally here!

Please note the time and date and the fact that I was the first one to accurately call it. insane.gif

ED? You know they have pills for that now. It takes care of the softness and makes the board hard.