• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Someone can give confirmation of what I already think ...

6 posts in this topic

So, I have a book with tape on the inside covers on the spine by the staples.  I've had very few books with this occurrence, and my guess is that the cover detached at some point, and tape was somehow used to reinforce the cover and was reattached with new staples.  It looks to the naked eye as if the cover is holding onto the staples, but I can't think of anything else to explain what's there.  Anyone like to confirm?  This, particulaly if there has been staple replacement, makes the book restored.

Here's the pics, as best as I can show them:

ykFCDYF.jpg

2rUpmAv.jpg

oFluhKs.jpg

ykFCDYF.jpg

J2VDzsi.jpg

kcAIZN5.jpg

Edited by ChiSoxFan

Those appear to be Marvel staples, common for the period, and original to the book. The scans are slightly blurry but it looks to me as though the top staple pulled through the cover alone (indented top staples in production very common on AS 23 and AS 36), possibly the first wrap and the bottom staple was still seated, but loosely. The book was dismantled, tape applied over the spine from the inside, to re-secure the staples, giving them something to grip when reinserted, and then closed at the centerfold. Removing the staples, the opening of them at the centerfold typically weakens the paper of the centerfold at the staple, so I would also look for tape used at the staples on the spine side (back) of the centerfold to reseal the centerfold securely. It looks very tightly done so that may have been done as well.  

5 hours ago, DarthRawn said:

Your suspicions seem to be valid, I would be bummed a bit too. A lot of ebay comic scammers out there if that's where you picked it up at.

The book has actually been in my collection for a while -- I picked it up from a large Florida-based comic shop a number of years ago (15 years or so) and didn't notice it at the time (nothing was noted). I only discovered it after I upgraded. It stinks, but definitely on me for not catching it at the time. :facepalm:

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:44 PM, ChiSoxFan said:

The book has actually been in my collection for a while -- I picked it up from a large Florida-based comic shop a number of years ago (15 years or so) and didn't notice it at the time (nothing was noted). I only discovered it after I upgraded. It stinks, but definitely on me for not catching it at the time. :facepalm:

I was going to mention this repair was likely done many years ago. This was a common, universal "quick fix" in pre-CGC times. Not uncommon at all.  Hard to detect because you have to open the cover more than you'd care to in order to spot it, and even then, the clear tape isn't that visible unless it's either yellowed, stained, or your lighting and optics are right and you specifically examine the area under the staples inside the front cover.

Edited by James J Johnson
typo