• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Freedom from the Want List (sort of...)
1 1

6 posts in this topic

So, last weekend, I find out there is a Comic Show about 1 hour north. (Great Lakes Comic Con). I had never heard of it but was bored and figured it was worth the drive. The last one I went to was the Grand Rapids Comic Con last fall which was horrible for me and buying books. I was pleasantly surprised with the back issues at the show. I ended up being attracted to the $5 area of the Collector's Zone. I started with my Want List, which is overall a great guide for me but sometimes it's also a hindrance as I skip areas. While digging through the selection, which wasn't in any order, I started finding books for my nephew (Maximum Carnage, Avengers #190, Daredevil Annual #4)) and some on my Want List. But I also started grabbing books I has as a kid circa 1979/1980 that I had gotten rid in the mid-80's during college. Nothing earth-shaking but it was so fun and freeing just buying books that looked interesting like I did at age 13. Some books were upgrades, like the FF 200 as the one I bought as a kid didn't stay a 9.2. lol All the MTU's were on the Want List except the Man-Thing one. I already have it but couldn't resist the John Byrne art, same goes for Conan #100. The image with Star Trek and Thor was one that brought the most smiles. Almost all of these were books I bought at the drug store back in the day but got rid of by college. The sentimental side of me kicked in. You all influenced me on the Alien Worlds. I never owned them back in the day but the Dave Stevens art is so good. 

Thanks for letting me share!

IMG_2568.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

IMG_2564.JPG

IMG_2563.JPG

4 minutes ago, Shadow said:

So, last weekend, I find out there is a Comic Show about 1 hour north. (Great Lakes Comic Con). I had never heard of it but was bored and figured it was worth the drive. The last one I went to was the Grand Rapids Comic Con last fall which was horrible for me and buying books. I was pleasantly surprised with the back issues at the show. I ended up being attracted to the $5 area of the Collector's Zone. I started with my Want List, which is overall a great guide for me but sometimes it's also a hindrance as I skip areas. While digging through the selection, which wasn't in any order, I started finding books for my nephew (Maximum Carnage, Avengers #190, Daredevil Annual #4)) and some on my Want List. But I also started grabbing books I has as a kid circa 1979/1980 that I had gotten rid in the mid-80's during college. Nothing earth-shaking but it was so fun and freeing just buying books that looked interesting like I did at age 13. Some books were upgrades, like the FF 200 as the one I bought as a kid didn't stay a 9.2. lol All the MTU's were on the Want List except the Man-Thing one. I already have it but couldn't resist the John Byrne art, same goes for Conan #100. The image with Star Trek and Thor was one that brought the most smiles. Almost all of these were books I bought at the drug store back in the day but got rid of by college. The sentimental side of me kicked in. You all influenced me on the Alien Worlds. I never owned them back in the day but the Dave Stevens art is so good. 

Thanks for letting me share!

IMG_2568.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

IMG_2564.JPG

IMG_2563.JPG

FYI - some of those books were bundled 2 or 3 together. I wouldn't pay $5 each for some of the later MTU's. lol

26 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Great haul! Sometimes it's just fun to just buy whatever floats your boat at the time, instead of doing the want list thing.

Yup! Always exciting to go to a show with a planned want/purchase list in mind then you look in a box and say " OMG, Star Trek Poster Books!" I haven't seen these in years, gotta get 'em! :banana:

Yeah, I think, in the interest of time, I find myself skipping complete areas. But, in this instance, nostalgia won over. Now, if I can just figure out a "pocket universe" to store my short boxes in... Bag of Holding?