• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Daredevil 7, Marvel chipping

7 posts in this topic

PGM Daredevil 7

This is a lower grade copy that I was fairly pleased to get my hands on cheaply. It presents well enough for the presumed grade, but I'm a bit stumped as to how the Marvel chipping affects the grade at this level. This was listed as a VG-, which I think it clearly falls short of, but I'm interested in other opinions.

IMG_2953.JPG

IMG_2954.JPG

IMG_2955.JPG

IMG_2956.JPG

IMG_2957.JPG

IMG_2958.JPG

IMG_2959.JPG

IMG_2960.JPG

Edited by Rorsack
Added pics

I'd say the seller was pretty close. My initial thought was 4.0 but maybe there's a bit too much wear on the spine. I don't see any marvel chipping. It looks like the top of the comic may have wrapped a bit higher then the inner pages and caused many folds and tears over time.

2 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I'd say the seller was pretty close. My initial thought was 4.0 but maybe there's a bit too much wear on the spine. I don't see any marvel chipping. It looks like the top of the comic may have wrapped a bit higher then the inner pages and caused many folds and tears over time.

I don't see any chipping, hanging chips, or pre-chips either. I see edge tears; on the top due to excessive overhang, and on the reading edge, due to aggressive thumbing. It's got the creases and cover wrinkles as well, and the spine stressing is fairly invasive, and even though it appears to be a solid copy, tight as it were, due to the amount of defects, 4.0 may be a stretch. I think 3.0 is a good grade fit for this one, maybe 3.5 on a good day. With bold, in-scuffed colors, no staining, no toning, no tape; it will sell for more than its similarly graded brethren that have those defects accordingly.

18 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I don't see any chipping, hanging chips, or pre-chips either. I see edge tears; on the top due to excessive overhang, and on the reading edge, due to aggressive thumbing. It's got the creases and cover wrinkles as well, and the spine stressing is fairly invasive, and even though it appears to be a solid copy, tight as it were, due to the amount of defects, 4.0 may be a stretch. I think 3.0 is a good grade fit for this one, maybe 3.5 on a good day. With bold, in-scuffed colors, no staining, no toning, no tape; it will sell for more than its similarly graded brethren that have those defects accordingly.

I agree, I don't know where the OP is observing any Marvel chipping ? At least there are no big chunks missing. 3.0 - 3.5 vicinity.

8 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I agree, I don't know where the OP is observing any Marvel chipping ? At least there are no big chunks missing. 3.0 - 3.5 vicinity.

That's just me misunderstanding what Marvel chipping is. There are a few small missing pieces (most visible in the inside cover picture). That in combination with the overhang edge tears are what I was calling "chipping".

There is a "catch" with this book, however. Its missing an Ad page at the end, but it doesn't effect the story. My understanding is that fact does not effect the grade, but would label it "Qualified". Is that correct?

Thanks for the opinions.

5 hours ago, Rorsack said:

That's just me misunderstanding what Marvel chipping is. There are a few small missing pieces (most visible in the inside cover picture). That in combination with the overhang edge tears are what I was calling "chipping".

There is a "catch" with this book, however. Its missing an Ad page at the end, but it doesn't effect the story. My understanding is that fact does not effect the grade, but would label it "Qualified". Is that correct?

Thanks for the opinions.

Regarding the ad page missing, you are correct that CGC will usually assign a Qualified grade, however, at the very lower grades they probably won't. I think your book would get a Blue label with notation on the label stating such. However, it will impact the grade even farther. IMO, with the missing ad page, this book would struggle to even get a 3.0. I think we are now in 2.0 range.

Regarding Marvel chipping, that is something that happened during production, came on the shelves that way. The 'chips' missing from your book is due to handling wear, inflicted after production.

I would not get this book graded. It's really just a reading copy.