• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix buys Liefeld's EXTREME UNIVERSE movie rights

13 posts in this topic

Netflix Buys Deadpool Creator Rob Liefeld's Extreme Universe Movie Rights

For the second time in under a year, Netflix has reached a deal with one of comics' superstars to bring an entire universe of content to their streaming service.

Deadpool creator Rob Liefeld is bringing, his Extreme Universe to the streaming giant once and for all.

"Netflix! NETFLIX baby!! There is no platform more exciting and ground breaking then Netflix!" Liefeld told ComicBook.com. "There is certainly no more important portal in my household and I'm thrilled to be bringing my Extreme characters to life with Akiva and the gang! So much exciting news ahead!"

Liefeld's Extreme properties, especially Youngblood and Bloodstrike, have been in a perpetual state of some producer licensing the rights but then not managing to put together a film out of it before the rights lapse, return to Liefeld, and he heads to the next suitor.

With the popularity of comic book and superhero content, paired with Netflix's aggressive pursuit of potential blockbusters, it seems the time is now to make some of the material a reality.

According to Deadline, who broke the news, "Netflix has made a seven-figure rights deal, and Akiva Goldsman will set up and oversee a high-end writers’ room — similar to ones he has run for the Ology series, and the Transformers spinoffs — to generate a series of feature films with connective tissue, anchored by Liefeld’s comic book creations."

The deal does not include The Futurians, a property Liefeld is developing in the comics based on the creator-owned works of longtime X-Men artist Dave Cockrum.

Goldsman will still direct an Avengelyne movie for Paramount, which is how he and Liefeld ended up working together. A previous deal to land Extreme at Fundamental Films fell through.

“Rob Liefeld’s Extreme Universe features gritty stories and distinctive characters,” said Netflix feature film chief Scott Stuber. “Akiva’s creative voice has been behind some of the largest movie franchises, making him uniquely capable of helping bring these superheroes from the Extreme Universe to life for Netflix.”

12 hours ago, RedRaven said:

Do you feel better now that you've confessed your sins?

they were part of a huge lot of incentive covers that I picked up several years ago. i couldn't get rid of these at 50 cents a pop

10 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I have not one red cent invested in any books affected by this.... and I'm totally cool with that.

neither have i but i've had a lot of left overs from collections i've picked up through the years

giphy.gif

I assume Netflix bought these right to lock them away,  a la the government storage facility at the end of Raiders, to ensure no one is ever subjected to that garbage in any film or animated format.....

5aa2aa6773966_extremeno.jpg.c1135666246348e37df195d872f7626c.jpg

16 hours ago, RedRaven said:

Actors around the world are busily preparing themselves to compete for roles in Robs Universe...

186808-16.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

real-life-hulks-6.jpg

victims-of-synthol-how-bodybuilders-are-

Guy-and-Bottle.jpg?ts=1420510577

Throw a whole lot of pocket pouches all over these guys and they are perfect! Great casting.

26 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I assume Netflix bought these right to lock them away,  a la the government storage facility at the end of Raiders, to ensure no one is ever subjected to that garbage in any film or animated format.....

I really hope so. There is no way these books can be given a valuable treatment that makes sense with any good -script or actors. I wonder if Netflix is trying to make their own Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Defenders shows if Marvel takes them away from Netflix due to Disney getting their own streaming service.  hm

I could still think of many other comics to take source from that would be more logical. 

Do people outside of comics realize that the successful Deadpool now isn't the same as when Rob Liefeld created him?

I hope this venture does well but I think too much credit is being given to Rob Leifeld for Deadpool's success.  The writers made him the 4th wall breaking merc with the mouth.

2 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Do people outside of comics realize that the successful Deadpool now isn't the same as when Rob Liefeld created him?

I hope this venture does well but I think too much credit is being given to Rob Leifeld for Deadpool's success.  The writers made him the 4th wall breaking merc with the mouth.

Because they have seen Liefeld all over the Deadpool production, including his small scene in the movie as a nod to his involvement, it is probably assumed he created the final character design that was most popular.

Boy, do they have a surprise when they start reading those comics for -script inspiration.