• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is collectors grade?

9 posts in this topic

So as someone just getting started with graded comics I'm wondering what you believe is collectors grade? For instance I collect a lot of PSA graded vintage sports cards in 6 or 7. Gets you a card with great eye appeal and very  minor defects. Usually just the tiniest defect away from an investor grade 8, 9 or 10. But far less expensive.

Thanks

It's a meaningless term, and varies with every collector - what they like, don't like and defects they can tolerate.

10 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

It's a meaningless term, and varies with every collector - what they like, don't like and defects they can tolerate.

Pretty much this.

Depends on the collector (some are HG only, some prefer MGs, some will take LGs of certain issues), also depends on the defects more than the grades (for some OW pages are the minimum regardless of grade), also depends on the book itself (some grails are collectible in any condition) while most regular moderns are considered virtually undesirable below NM as far as being collectible, and also depends on plain old eye-appeal.

Bottomline, there's a collector for almost any book in almost any condition.... depending on the price.

Oh and WTTB! B|

Edited by jcjames

14 minutes ago, Silver Ager said:

It's the grade between reader grade and investment grade.

Yeah, for most common books for common collectors mid-to-high grade books (>4.0) are desirable, though reader books are good for HTF fillers or $$$ keys - although again, for moderns, that's a different story.

Welcome. Investment grade is most definately relative to the book in question IMO.  A modern book that just came out and is hot receives a 9.2 by the grading company. Most people are looking for the 9.8 on a new book and wouldn't even think twice about any grade less. Now put that 9.2 on a Fantastic Four #48 and you will have swarms of potential buyers checking it out. I'll bet that the 1st appearance of Superman or Batman would interest everyone on this board in ANY grade.

14 hours ago, WStreet said:

So as someone just getting started with graded comics I'm wondering what you believe is collectors grade? For instance I collect a lot of PSA graded vintage sports cards in 6 or 7. Gets you a card with great eye appeal and very  minor defects. Usually just the tiniest defect away from an investor grade 8, 9 or 10. But far less expensive.

Thanks

Hi WStreet and welcome to the boards!

Since you are coming from a sport cards background and mentioned collecting "vintage" PSA graded cards in the 6/7 ranges, I would say the equivalent collector grade in the CGC world would be 8.0 and higher (although there sure are a lot of pretty 7.5s out there!)

These give you the "great eye appeal" without going into the craziness of the higher ends.

Of course, if you are into the higher end of the hobby, looking for books like Action 1, Detective 27, etc., then price would be the driving and deciding factor. Think of it as if you were searching for a PSA graded 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle. What grade can you afford to live with and like?

But, like others have stated, it is matter of individual taste and finding the right range you are comfortable with, but I'm sure you will come up with a similar CGC range you feel comfortable in like you did with the PSA 6/7 ranges.

Edited by DanCooper