• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please grade this Planet Comics #5 (UK)!

8 posts in this topic

Here's a neat rarity with the cover from the US Planet #53, and interiors from Planet and other Fiction House titles.

Idly curious about a grade on this one. There's a distributors' label on the back which resulted in some light wrinkling all around it. Not sure what one would do with that. What do you think?

ukplanet5.jpg.0214a686f716927844a89a3757d5d6ef.jpg

ukplanet5back.jpg.643f29a784a6b60dfabdad8043dccfca.jpg

26 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

How much spine-splitting is there? And is that a tear or just a scoring of the front cover through the two guys getting the beat down?

:hi:  No spine splits, no long tears.

4 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

3.0 - 3.5.

Cool book!

I concur, with an upward lean, more towards 3.5 than 3.0. If those  wrinkles can be pressed out, even to a noticeable extent, might make a 4.5. Beautiful pulp-style space-adventure cover, in the style of the great sci-fi pulp artists, Paul, Fuqua, Brown, Schomberg, etc., etc.,

Edited by James J Johnson

Great book. Those British Planets are really hard to find!

I'm not sure how CGC would view the sticker. If the book was never found without one it might get at least a partial pass. But who knows if that was the case? It's not like there are lots of others to check it against.

But I think I'd be happy with 3.5 on that as it stands.

7 hours ago, AJD said:

Great book. Those British Planets are really hard to find!

I'm not sure how CGC would view the sticker. If the book was never found without one it might get at least a partial pass. But who knows if that was the case? It's not like there are lots of others to check it against.

But I think I'd be happy with 3.5 on that as it stands.

In this area of the spectrum, I doubt the sticker will have any detrimental effect on the grade. Especially that the sticker is perfectly placed, not partially torn off, as many are with stickers in an attempt to remove them, and the design of the sticker is attractively interwoven with the artwork! Because it's not a high grade book, I think that the history it adds to this enhances the desirability. I don't like stickers and stamps, I'm critical of them when adding a book to my collection, but would not mind this at all.