• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Age Ink
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I recently bought a lot of comics that had several silver age action and worlds finest comics.  They are in great condition however have a purplish ink along the edges.  Someone told me this came from the original bags they were sold in.  Is this true,  common, and what does it do to value? 

Distributor Stripes - Color brushed or sprayed on the edges of comic book stacks by the distributor/wholesaler to code them for expedient exchange at the sales racks. Typical colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. Distributor Stripes are not a defect.

4 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

Typical colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. Distributor Stripes are not a defect.

Depends on the extent. CGC does deduct for too much distributor spray that shows on the cover. 

19 hours ago, Phunter7524 said:

I recently bought a lot of comics that had several silver age action and worlds finest comics.  They are in great condition however have a purplish ink along the edges.  Someone told me this came from the original bags they were sold in.  Is this true,  common, and what does it do to value? 

Definitely sounds like distributor ink. Part of the nromal distribution process. Also beware of advice from whoever told you it came from the bags the comics were originally sold in. Comics weren't originally sold in bags.

1 hour ago, PovertyRow said:

Definitely sounds like distributor ink. Part of the nromal distribution process. Also beware of advice from whoever told you it came from the bags the comics were originally sold in. Comics weren't originally sold in bags.

http://www.wymann.info/comics/027-Comicpac60s70s.html  hm

3 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Yes, I know about the pacs. (I saw them in the stores when they first came out.) I just assumed we were talking individually sold comics (my bad for assuming). But since distributor spray was applied to bundled comics  I am not sure how these pre-packed comics could have an ink mark from the packaging.  It would be interesting to learn exactly how the pacs were put together and at what point in the distribution process etc.

Edited by PovertyRow

I have never seen anything like this. Distributor spray is usually a small patch on the top edge. This is top,bottom, and sides. Also much thicker than a spray. It looks like it was dipped in paint.  I don't know what happened but I suspect, if submitted for grading, it would be hammered. This is not normal. Sorry. 

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:11 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Distributor Stripes - Color brushed or sprayed on the edges of comic book stacks by the distributor/wholesaler to code them for expedient exchange at the sales racks. Typical colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. Distributor Stripes are not a defect.

And the absolute worst color of all, though thankfully, not often used. Medium brown (Like the color brown of the FF 48 cover). The brown is also the most difficult to work with if you try to eradicate it, it clings with a vengeance.