• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADING CONTEST : ROUND 13

125 posts in this topic

I really was gonna join the 9.6 club on this one, but my gut reminded me of truly how difficult it is to get a 9.6 with arguably a Silver Age book. sumo.gif

What's the argument? confused-smiley-013.gif 1968 is the Silver Age. And what a great year it was (although I don't remember much about it).

The following guessed 8.0 and receive 0 POINTS

1 XsmanX

The following guessed 8.5 and receive 0 Points

1 Imagemask

I think these two guesses were quite surprising!?! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Considering the general reliability of the sources wink.gif

The following guessed 8.0 and receive 0 POINTS

1 XsmanX

The following guessed 8.5 and receive 0 Points

1 Imagemask

I think these two guesses were quite surprising!?! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Considering the general reliability of the sources wink.gif

Maybe they thought the bottom right scuffing on the FC was on the comic and not the case. confused-smiley-013.gif Other than that, I don't see anything that would knock it out of the 9.X range.

The grade this book received still bums me out frown.gif

My guess is the overall look and feel was just not sharp and tight enough - hey, there's nothing wrong with 9.4 SA books! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Any notes to speak of? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And alas, like Icarus, whose wings of wax betrayed him when he dared to fly too close to the glowing orb in the sky....

...thus, I begin my descent. acclaim.gif

(hey, it sound better than writing "Ode to a Hemorrhoid Fleeting", eh?) confused-smiley-013.gif

The grade this book received still bums me out frown.gif

Looked like a 9.6 to me. confused-smiley-013.gif Not sure what defects bring it down. Maybe that lower right edge dent?

That was my thinking. thumbsup2.gif

And alas, like Icarus, whose wings of wax betrayed him when he dared to fly too close to the glowing orb in the sky....

Me too. At least I hung with the top dogs for most of the race! confused-smiley-013.gifacclaim.gif

My guess was those marks on the back cover spine were the result of rust transfer from the staples of whatever comic this SS #11 was stacked next to, way back when.

There was a thread some time ago asking what Overstreet meant by "rust migration," and the explanation from drbanner about transfer from adjacent books seemed to make the most sense at the time.

Me too. At least I hung with the top dogs for most of the race! confused-smiley-013.gifacclaim.gif

It's been great battling it out wid' jas! headbang.gif

(hey, it sound better than writing "Ode to a Hemorrhoid Fleeting", eh?) confused-smiley-013.gif

So apparently you are chopped liver. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

stooges.gif

Wish the contest could go on a bit longer, I seem to be getting marginally better. laugh.gif

You too. makepoint.gif

I am happy with my showing, since I have never subbed a book and have only owned 4 slabs in my life! grin.gif

As long as I finish ahead of you, FFB and Divad; I consider it a victory. insane.gif

My guess was those marks on the back cover spine were the result of rust transfer from the staples of whatever comic this SS #11 was stacked next to, way back when.

There was a thread some time ago asking what Overstreet meant by "rust migration," and the explanation from drbanner about transfer from adjacent books seemed to make the most sense at the time.

I agree on your analysis of the BC marks on this book, but rust "migration" generally refers to migration from the book's own staples . . . tongue.gif

You too. makepoint.gif

I am happy with my showing, since I have never subbed a book and have only owned 4 slabs in my life! grin.gif

As long as I finish ahead of you, FFB and Divad; I consider it a victory. insane.gif

Gonna git you sucka! devil.gif

I asked Nikos if those were rust stains, and he replied in the negative.

I asked Nikos if those were rust stains, and he replied in the negative.

negative? or confused-smiley-013.gif