• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick pressing modern -- worth it?

6 posts in this topic

Suppose I have a nice looking book 1-25 years old, no obvious flaws, if I send it off to be graded as-is it may get 9.4, 9.6 or 9.8.

If I have the book quick pressed first, is there a greater chance it will grade 9.8? Or is it a waste of time / money? Anyone have experience / data?

Thanks "Finhead" and "Ride the Tiger", I have gone through some forum archives and answered some of my questions.

Do you know of a good reference for what kind of defects quick pressing can and cannot repair? Any kind of pictorial guide or youtube video maybe?

Pressing 9.4 books up to 9.8 is the bread and butter of most pressers.  Pressing does a great job of fixing spine rolls, non-color breaking creases and slight wrinkling that does not break color.  Is this for resale?  pressing modern books is tricky since the press and grade can add up to $40 - $50 depending on shipping cost and the number you do.  If the book is $80 in 9.8 and $50 in 9.6 do you want to roll the dice you will get a bunch of 9.8s (especially since CGC loves 9.6s right now).  Pressing is not a magic cure all.  Imagine a huge squish being performed to your book and think of what would go away after the squish.

13 hours ago, snematbakhsh said:

Thanks "Finhead" and "Ride the Tiger", I have gone through some forum archives and answered some of my questions.

Do you know of a good reference for what kind of defects quick pressing can and cannot repair? Any kind of pictorial guide or youtube video maybe?

They list defects with pictures on any pressers site