• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Audacity...

23 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

...of eBay to unilaterally change my listings to allow offers to “help me sell”. This has happened to me a couple of times now and it rubs me the wrong way. I read “help you sell” as “help eBay make more money at your expense”. 

Sure, I could just decline offers but...there’s an intentional strategy to the construction of my listings and I don’t need some alrorithym changing it without my consent.

Like I said, the audacity!

it seems that when i'm selling something

eBay always defaults to something that i completely do not want..

3 hours ago, Tempus Fugit said:

Why wouldn't you take offers?

I look at ebay like doing a show, and of course I am open to offers at shows.

Many people (myself) just don't want to pay asking price. 

I would guess that 1/3 of my ebay books go for an offer, and it's often just a few dollars off.

Not telling you people how to run your sales, just sayin'

It's not about "accepting offers" it's about ebay modifying your listings without you knowing about it is how I'm reading this.  If a seller does not want to accept offers then it's up to the seller to decide. Ebay shouldn't decide "how" their listing is setup.. at the very least ebay should let you know they are about to modify your listing and "ask" if it's ok.  Bottom line if you have a listing setting set up the way you want it, then ebay shouldn't change it without your approval.  In this case  it's accepting offers.

7 hours ago, Foley said:
8 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Wait, you're saying they took the liberty of making Best Offers available on listings where you didn't have them enabled?

Yeah, I heard about this. There was another thread a couple days ago. I think you have to manually switch the function off after they change it.

that was me in the "eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread" ---

On 4/7/2018 at 1:41 AM, 01TheDude said:

Ebay has recently been doing some new stuff to some of my listings. These are items I listed as 30 day fixed price BIN only--- not open to offers. First they sent me an e-mail saying "hey, someone is watching that item you listed, maybe you should lower your price or open it for offers". This listing had been up less than 1 week. A week goes by and they send me another e-mail. "Hey, we changed your listings (plural) to allow buyers to make offers". Wow, SO HELPFUL (sarcasm).

So noticing that they said OFFERS and not just the one item, sure enough upon investigating it I notice they have changed 4 recently listed items (including the original one they told me I should try to get that sale on) and opened them up to accept offers. None of these items were listed longer than 2 weeks and were 30 day fixed price BINs. I had to go into each listing and remove the offers portion to restore them to the original settings. And a week later, one of them sold for the fixed asking price.

My point here is who does ebay think they are helping with this BS? They make me have to revise my own listings that they have altered WITHOUT CONSENT from me?

Had anyone else run into this type of behavior from eBay?