• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steranko: The Greatest Comic Book Artist of the Late Silver Age?

200 posts in this topic

There are no 'lost' comic works by Steranko. Everything has seen publication at one time or another. He has published in the past couple of years a few retrospective works, "Steranko: Noir", "Steranko: Graphic Prince of Darkness" and "Steranko Archives: Volume 1". There are however, rare graphic design works that few know about and even Steranko himself has forgotten doing until they were shown to him.... first hand experience, of course.

About Steranko and the pulps, he was not only influenced by them, but is one of, if not the premier, world's experts on the pulps. He was a serious fan of the genre and was close friends with Walter Gibson (creator of the Shadow).

That is the quintessential 1960's patriotic cover!

There is no better 1960's patriotic expression (except maybe Captain America #111).

Sincerely,

BronzeJohnny

Perhaps, at some point in the future, comic book enthusiasts will look back and see that Steranko's art captured the visual essence of the the 1960s.

It is truly amazing how an artist with such a small corpus of comic book art work have such an impact on Comicbookdom. This is Steranko's legacy and it is what makes him such a comic book visionary and artistic icon.

Viva Jim Steranko!!

To jump in on a few issues:

Buscema was one of the greatest technicians in the history of comics but he made few innovations.

Crumb has had a noticable though minor impact on society through "Keep on Truckin", "Fritz the Cat" and the Crumb movie. In comparison, Steranko and Wrightson have had no impact at all. Still, though, we don't spend a lot of time hear talking about people like Charles Schultz or Dr. Suess either, two men whose impact has far out distanced Crumb. We talk about people like Wrightson and Steranko. That's Okay. We're members of a goshdarn subculture and proud of it!

I loved both Steranko and Wrightson as a teenager and a young man. Today I see Wrightson as the greater technician and Steranko as the greater storyteller. I am more interested in comics now as storytelling than as a vehicle for brilliant technicians.

Woody Allen said that the measure of a genius is that everyone who comes after the genius has his mark in their work. I think that holds true for both men.

Oh Yes, Norinn Radd, Steranko is the best, he has really changed things in the late 60's, and what he does is always incredible , i'm buying one by one all his work in high grade, oh boy look at this gem...

hfdhon8.jpg

Honestly I don't know what the big deal is with this cover? I can think of a dozen Buscema covers that this one couldn't hold a candle to. Also, I don;t understand the knock on Buscema but he apparently wasn't an cutting edge? He was just hands down a better artist and his volume of spectacular cover work alone was miles ahead of anyone at that time.

Honestly I don't know what the big deal is with this cover? I can think of a dozen Buscema covers that this one couldn't hold a candle to.

Name them. Personally, I can't think of a single Buscema cover that top this one other than Silver Surfer 4. confused-smiley-013.gif

Honestly I don't know what the big deal is with this cover? I can think of a dozen Buscema covers that this one couldn't hold a candle to.

Name them. Personally, I can't think of a single Buscema cover that top this one other than Silver Surfer 4. confused-smiley-013.gif

Thor 193

Honestly I don't know what the big deal is with this cover?

confused.gif well, we can't compare two artist like Buscema and Steranko, and i don't think that's really just for two of thembecause they're not going in the same way, but when you don't understand my love of that cover i can undeerstand but you can't say that's a common cover in SA , i'm not agree with that

Silver Surfer #3, Sub-Mariner #2, #5 #8, Avengers #45,#48,#57,#75, Avengers Annual #3. Just compare how they drew Captain America and really there was no comparison. At least Buscema was in perspective, that Cap #110 cover just doesn't look right. Is Bucky 3 feet tall, the Hulk 12? Not saying its not a cool action scene but I would have liked to see Buscema draw the same frame and then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Silver Surfer #3, Sub-Mariner #2, #5 #8, Avengers #45,#48,#57,#75, Avengers Annual #3. Just compare how they drew Captain America and really there was no comparison. At least Buscema was in perspective, that Cap #110 cover just doesn't look right. Is Bucky 3 feet tall, the Hulk 12? Not saying its not a cool action scene but I would have liked to see Buscema draw the same frame and then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Also,if you look at the Hulk's right shoulder, it looks as if somone went and changed the drawing. The shoulder and the arm do not look correct.

Your love of Buscema certainly knows no bounds.
confused-smiley-013.gif Dont know how to take your comment. I do like Buscema, I also like Steranko, and Marie Severin, and the lot. While Cap 110 is a great cover, I dont think it is any more special than Avengers 57, Thor 193, or some other Buscema masterpieces. In fact, i like some of Steranko's Nick Fury Shield covers better than the Cap 110.