• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steranko: The Greatest Comic Book Artist of the Late Silver Age?

200 posts in this topic

I don't think the cover of Cap 110 is the best representation of Steranko at his apex. Buscema seems to be the main artist that has been compared to Steranko. I for one, love Buscema's work, especially the cover of SS #4. But no one drew more classic covers during the late Silver Age than Steranko. And no one captured the 60's "mood" better than Steranko. My definition of "greatest" includes among other factors, the ability of an artist to capture the "feeling" of the times s/he was living in. And no one captured the late 60's "mood" better than Steranko. But what's so interesting about Steranko is that his technique and approach to drawing the American Comic Book was ahead of its time and he laid the groundwork for the next generation of comic book artists to take comic book art a step further. That is Steranko's challenge!

To say that Steranko was the greatest artist of the late Silver Age does not take anything away from the great Buscema.

I consider Buscema to be an underrated artist (hard to believe, but true) in comparison to his contemporaries Kirby, Ditko, Romita and Kane. In fact, I would prefer to read a Buscema-illustrated book over any of those other guys. I just think that Steranko is the best of the bunch, particularly due to his innovative storytelling techniques.

I consider Buscema to be an underrated artist (hard to believe, but true) in comparison to his contemporaries Kirby, Ditko, Romita and Kane. In fact, I would prefer to read a Buscema-illustrated book over any of those other guys. I just think that Steranko is the best of the bunch, particularly due to his innovative storytelling techniques.
Ill get to take a read at his stories when some Fury:Shield books come in. Im looking forward to it.

Honestly I don't know what the big deal is with this cover? I can think of a dozen Buscema covers that this one couldn't hold a candle to.

Name them. Personally, I can't think of a single Buscema cover that top this one other than Silver Surfer 4. confused-smiley-013.gif

Silver Surfer #3, Sub-Mariner #2, #5 #8, Avengers #45,#48,#57,#75, Avengers Annual #3. Just compare how they drew Captain America and really there was no comparison. At least Buscema was in perspective, that Cap #110 cover just doesn't look right. Is Bucky 3 feet tall, the Hulk 12? Not saying its not a cool action scene but I would have liked to see Buscema draw the same frame and then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

i would almost be willing to guarantee that the Hulk's arm, Bucky, and probably half of the Hulk's face are all stats on that cover. definitely the arm that connects to the Hulk's right boob; that's a no brainer

It's interesting that the major comparison between Buscema and Steranko appears throughout this thread. And those in favor of either Steranko or Buscema make exceptional arguments in favor of each of these great artists. But what about Neal Adams and Steranko in the late 60s?

I also prefer Steranko to Adams (but like Adams' work none the less).

Somewhere earlier in this thread, I think a few posters really hit on the crucial thing that lifts Steranko above Buscema. Steranko was an innovator. He broke new ground as a graphic storyteller and brought other graphic design elements into the comic book world. Steranko was also that rare super-hero artist who was also a great plotter and an okay scripter (compare Steranko written dialogue to the clunky stuff Kirby wrote).

Buscema is not a scripter. Nor is Buscema an innovator. Buscema learned the Marvel style from studying Kirby & working over Kirby layouts (as did Steranko) and eventually became a very polished artist who produced a huge volume of very high level illustration.

I find him similar to John Romita Sr. Another solid craftsman who adapted his style to resemble the "in-your-face" action style of Jack Kirby and cranked out a high volume of very good artwork. But Romita (by his own admission) was not the innovative creator that Kirby, Ditko, Steranko and Adams all were.

When you also measure the influence Steranko had on graphic storytelling to the small number of pages he actually cranked out, I think Steranko occupies a very special place in the history of both Marvel Comics and the Silver Age.

Steranko's Captain America 111 rejected cover looked pretty mundane and boring to me. I feel that the accepted cover was much more emotional and interesting.

However, that Towers of Shadow 1 rejected cover was awesome! Marvel missed some sales when they poo-pooed that cover.

It's interesting that the major comparison between Buscema and Steranko appears throughout this thread. And those in favor of either Steranko or Buscema make exceptional arguments in favor of each of these great artists. But what about Neal Adams and Steranko in the late 60s?

Adams produced a 'homage' to Steranko in his run on Deadman. Has any other contemporary artist, had

something similar done?

Yes...

Alex Ross to Jack "The King" Kirby (the FF Omnibus and FF #1).

Alex Ross to John Romita many Spider-Man covers (Amazing #50 comes to mind)

Alex Ross to Dave Cockrum (Giant-Size X-Men #1 and X-Men 94)

See a theme here?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif