• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can Someone Explain Production Art To Me?
1 1

50 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2024 at 10:55 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Yes but it was a 1990 color guide not an 70-80s one. 80s ones are far rarer. Also that colour guide is different from what the " original art", became as it had been changed with a transparency dropped in from earlier int he story. Still can't work out which I like best. So only example of what Carmine had intended and yep to me it is art. Hope you packed it well.

IMG_9577.jpeg

On 8/8/2024 at 11:59 AM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

That first part is inconsistent with the view that "production art" is not art but "prints" are.  The second part about science is off-point.     

Until very recently, artists who created line drawings for comic covers intended for them to be completed by others into final form and reproduced. They were not intended to be, and weren't regarded as, pieces of art to be displayed in their unfinished form.  

(btw, this whole convo is becoming a prime example of a "talking with a guy who won't let you agree with him".  I tried to agree with you that production art is not really art, and did not expect a detour that prints are Art and the production art is a effectively a science project.  But if we must go down that road I will argue that sometimes, a science project is a work of art, too)

Also muddying the waters of the (production art is not art but prints are) argument is that many production art pieces contain touch-ups by the artist (or art director), or were assembled on the page with multiple stats (the way collages are created).  In some cases the production pieces were subsequently signed by the author(s).

Not Brand Echh 3 cover production art.jpg

Not Brand Echh cover 11 prod art.jpg

Thor 154 final stat page 1968.jpg

Not Brand Ecch #3 was the first comic I bought, so I went to look up the sale on Heritage, and they have it listed as "presumed stolen"  Do you have it, or did you just take the image off the Heritage site?

Does anyone know if the original cover exists, or just the production piece?

On 8/12/2024 at 10:52 PM, brainbats said:

Not Brand Ecch #3 was the first comic I bought, so I went to look up the sale on Heritage, and they have it listed as "presumed stolen"  Do you have it, or did you just take the image off the Heritage site?

Does anyone know if the original cover exists, or just the production piece?

I've never owned that. I took the pic from the heritage site.  Do not know if the OG art exists

On 8/4/2024 at 12:21 AM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

The proliferation of fakes has kept the price of actual production art and materials lower than they would be if they were treated like vintage artifacts of the production process.  A vintage piece of production art predates the publication of the comic, so when the price is below that of an entry level example of the comic, I take it as a sign the price may be artificially low.  Here's a few examples of pieces that were produced by Marvel before the book itself was published or hit the stands. 

Fantastic Four 1 page 21 production art 1961.jpg.jpg

Fantastic Four 67 color guide.JPG

FF 33 proof cover.jpg

Fantastic Four 52 cvr stat unused version.jpg

What is the specific name of the production page on the bottom? The FF cover?

On 9/25/2024 at 1:00 PM, Dignity said:

What is the specific name of the production page on the bottom? The FF cover?

That's a vintage stat of one of the OG unused versions of the FF 52 cover. It was redone several times, apparently.  They liked this version enough that they ran off stats of it, thinking it would be the final, before it was revised yet again for the final final.