• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ACTION COMICS 15 - GOOD DEAL OR NO ?

25 posts in this topic

On 5/12/2018 at 7:14 PM, comicdonna said:

The tape is factored into the grade.  CGC's "new" stance is to consider tape a defect.  In the "old days", this book would have received a higher grade.  

Howard Rogofsky always said that "Tape is not considered a defect."  lol

On 5/12/2018 at 7:16 PM, Philflound said:

Not necessarily true. If a book is lower grade and has just small tape, it does nothing to the grade. If it's say mid-grade, but the entire spine has a strip of tape, then it will factor in. It all depends on the severity and the grade of the comic without the tape.

I'm a bit confused.  When does the amount of tape on a book start factoring in to the assigned grade?   And what amount of tape causes the grade to go down?

6 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

I'm a bit confused.  When does the amount of tape on a book start factoring in to the assigned grade?   And what amount of tape causes the grade to go down?

High grade books will factor in immediately along with any type of stickers. It's when you get low grade it really doesn't matter. So if you had a completely split spine and the person puts a strip down the spine to re-attach it, as long as the book isn't totally destroyed, it will probably get a 1.0, not a 0.5. If your book is in 1.8 condition and there is a 1" piece of tape on say the inside back cover helping a tear, then the book will remain a 1.8 since that small piece of tape isn't really doing much to an already low grade book. Like I said, it depends on the size of the tape, where it's located, and how much of it is there to affect the grade.

For example, if you have like a 9.8 book, but someone decided to reinforce the spine with a strip of tape going down the full spine, you'd be looking at about a 4.0. Tape is never good regardless unless you have a tiny piece holding part of the cover from completely falling off and then having a chunk missing. I don't recommend using it.

3 minutes ago, Philflound said:

High grade books will factor in immediately along with any type of stickers. It's when you get low grade it really doesn't matter. So if you had a completely split spine and the person puts a strip down the spine to re-attach it, as long as the book isn't totally destroyed, it will probably get a 1.0, not a 0.5. If your book is in 1.8 condition and there is a 1" piece of tape on say the inside back cover helping a tear, then the book will remain a 1.8 since that small piece of tape isn't really doing much to an already low grade book. Like I said, it depends on the size of the tape, where it's located, and how much of it is there to affect the grade.

For example, if you have like a 9.8 book, but someone decided to reinforce the spine with a strip of tape going down the full spine, you'd be looking at about a 4.0. Tape is never good regardless unless you have a tiny piece holding part of the cover from completely falling off and then having a chunk missing. I don't recommend using it.

So what's the definition of "High grade books"?

It would seem to me that tape is tape is tape and should factor into to the grading the same way for every book regardless of condition.

Grading is subjective but something as objective as tape shouldn't be IMO.

What about rust on staples; writing; staining etc do those things factor in differently depending on the grade of the book?

1 minute ago, pemart1966 said:

So what's the definition of "High grade books"?

It would seem to me that tape is tape is tape and should factor into to the grading the same way for every book regardless of condition.

Grading is subjective but something as objective as tape shouldn't be IMO.

What about rust on staples; writing; staining etc do those things factor in differently depending on the grade of the book?

Most people define high grade as 8.0+.

Yep. Once you get out of the 8.0 or 7.0 and up range, rust (unless disintegrating) and writing (a name or something small) will not factor in. It's the extremes that matter. So if you had say a 6.0 book and it had 1/4" piece of tape on the interior cover for a small tear, it would probably just drop to 5.5, maybe 5.0. Same book with say 30c written on the back cover, that should not affect the grade at all. Stains are a different story altogether. Also depends on whether they are small water stains that you can only see on an angle, or ring stains and darker stains would drop the grade much more. Again, it depends on location. Inside covers will drop grade less than back cover which drops less than front cover. Foxing is considered staining, but unless really dark or the cover/book has a lot, wouldn't detract as much.