• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fantastic four 48 cgc .5

13 posts in this topic

Hi looking for some clarification on  a book that I sent in for grading. It is a FF48, I figured it was between 3.0-4.0. The grade was posted today and it received a grade of (.5).

this is what it states  

Fantastic Four 48 3/66 Marvel Comics       Universal Grader Notes .5 OFF-WHITE Page 3 missing, does not affect story. INCOMPLETE

I figured it would come back at least a Qualified label with a better grade. Any input would be appreciated. 

Edited by jzeze

5 minutes ago, Philflound said:

Books with missing pages get qualified at 3.5 or higher, and get a 0.5 if book is 3.0 or lower. I guess your estimate of 3.0 on the low end was correct.

Thanks for the response, much appreciated

1 minute ago, jzeze said:

Thanks for the response, much appreciated

BTW, if a Marvel Value Stamp or small piece is out of a page, you actually may still get a blue label that is not 0.5. Grades of 1.0 to maybe 2.0 or slightly higher will occur on books that are not qualified. Since a small piece is much less severe than an entire page, a book is usually not penalized to the fullest extent. 

I feel the OP pain.  I've gotten a little more careful since my FF 5 came back .5 because a non story page was neatly removed.  PLOD too (as a double whammy) as there was glue.  CGC grades are like a box of chocolates ...

4 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

I feel the OP pain.  I've gotten a little more careful since my FF 5 came back .5 because a non story page was neatly removed.  PLOD too (as a double whammy) as there was glue.  CGC grades are like a box of chocolates ...

I used to go to shows and buy stuff all the time. I never thought about counting pages back then. I have thousands of silver age books that can possibly be missing pages. The latest item I had checked was my Batman 181 which was missing the centerfold. Eventually when I get the time, I'll go through each and every book and look for missing pages, coupons cut out, and restoration.

5 minutes ago, Philflound said:

Batman 181 which was missing the centerfold

Very common for that issue to be missing the pin-up centerfold.  I'm in the same boat when it comes to cut out coupons or ads.  Seems like comics marketed to girls are especially susceptible to cut outs. Katy Keene and the like.

Just now, ThothAmon said:

Very common for that issue to be missing the pin-up centerfold.  I'm in the same boat when it comes to cut out coupons or ads.  Seems like comics marketed to girls are especially susceptible to cut outs. Katy Keene and the like.

Yeah, those paper dolls are missing way too often.

5 minutes ago, Dark_Ryu said:

I know how you feel. This book is 100% complete without any restoration or missing pieces. I get that the spine is completely split, but 0.5 is bs imo.

I was expecting 1.0-1.8..... Got a 0.5 instead :(

IMG_20171030_124720692.jpg

IMG_20171030_124727737.jpg

:sorry:

12 hours ago, Dark_Ryu said:

I know how you feel. This book is 100% complete without any restoration or missing pieces. I get that the spine is completely split, but 0.5 is bs imo.

I was expecting 1.0-1.8..... Got a 0.5 instead :(

IMG_20171030_124720692.jpg

IMG_20171030_124727737.jpg

Think you might have been a little too optimistic.  If a coverless complete copy get's0 a "NG" I can't imagine a much lower graded cover present copy.  On the bright side some piece of crappy laminate 1960's furniture that is probably now compost didn't get a water ring.