• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is this restored and not conserved

3 posts in this topic

I believe this book has the most recent label update.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crime-SuspenStories-22-Apr-May-1954-EC-CGC-3-0-CR-OW-Minor-Restoration/113013459265?epid=85388785&hash=item1a50208941:g:HHcAAOSwjXNbAF~h

"tear seals, spine split sealed, cover reinforced". How is this in a restored holder and not a conserved one? The only reason I can think is that glue was used instead of wheat paste?

Edited by Phil the Governor

2 hours ago, DontLookBehindYou said:

I would think you're right. A Conserved book needs to be (P), correct? The work has to be reversible? I would think anything done with glue is not reversible, therefore Restored.

There are no longer (A) and (P) designations for amateur and professional work. It's a A, B, C level (A= Excellent, B= Fine, C= Poor) with a 1-4 quantity scale (1= slight, 2=slight/moderate, 3=moderate/extensive, 4= extensive). 

Within that rubric, glue falls in the C category... so it can't be simply because of glue.

Then again, as I read it on CGC's website "Materials Used for Conservation Repairs" only lists 4 items, 1. Rice Paper, 2. Wheat glue, 3. Vintage Staples, 4. Archival tape

So I suppose maybe white paper, or non rice paper was used for the cover reinforcement?