• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air conditioner is out for the night --- at least
1 1

11 posts in this topic

So I found the topic below which said comics should be stored between 68 - 72 degrees F and 50% RH.  About 30 minutes ago the blower motor on our AC went out and I'm in Indiana where its going to be about 90 degrees F with around 80% humidity.  I'm sure I'll have the AC fixed tomorrow afternoon, the next day at the latest, but was wondering if in that time any type of damage could be realized.  Thanks in advance.

14 hours ago, comicquant said:

So I found the topic below which said comics should be stored between 68 - 72 degrees F and 50% RH.  About 30 minutes ago the blower motor on our AC went out and I'm in Indiana where its going to be about 90 degrees F with around 80% humidity.  I'm sure I'll have the AC fixed tomorrow afternoon, the next day at the latest, but was wondering if in that time any type of damage could be realized.  Thanks in advance.

I'm sure your books will be fine. I live in the Chicago area = same humidity as you. I have my books in the basement with a dehumidifier going 24 X 7. The house AC alone doesn't get the humidity level low enough for me. I'm surprised, living in the midwest, you don't have at least one dehumidifier in the house ?

Your books will be fine as long as you fix the problem ASAP. A day or two shouldn't hurt.

If you have a dehumidifier, place it in the same room as your comics.

4 hours ago, joeypost said:

Is the air fixed?

Its been a bit of a hassle.  Wednesday they "fixed" it but it turns out the board had gone bad so the condensor/fan wasn't being triggered when the blower started and it was recycling hot air.  They came out yesterday and did a bunch of troubleshooting just to find out the board had bit the dust so instead of pumping money into a seemingly deteriorating system I'm having them do a complete gut and install a new system.  They gave us a bunch of portable units to put throughout the house until they come tomorrow morning to do the installation.    

Edited by comicquant

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

Its been a bit of a hassle.  Wednesday they "fixed" it but it turns out the board had gone bad so the condensor/fan wasn't being triggered when the blower started and it was recycling hot air.  They came out yesterday and did a bunch of troubleshooting just to find out the board had bit the dust so instead of pumping money into a seemingly deteriorating system I'm having them do a complete gut and install a new system.  They gave us a bunch of portable units to put throughout the house until they come tomorrow morning to do the installation.    

:foryou:

3 hours ago, comicquant said:

Just asking but, by any chance, did you recently install a smart thermostat ? Turns out I had problems this week with my AC also, sounds somewhat similar to you. At first they thought it was the TXV, then they thought the compressor, and finally they sent out a technician that figured it out. It was my Nest thermostat. I guess these new smart thermostats draw more power and tap the heating/cooling system for the voltage it needs = my AC was not getting enough voltage. It ran but was blowing room temperature air. He fixed it by feeding the thermostat directly, something called a common line ? 

28 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Just asking but, by any chance, did you recently install a smart thermostat ? Turns out I had problems this week with my AC also, sounds somewhat similar to you. At first they thought it was the TXV, then they thought the compressor, and finally they sent out a technician that figured it out. It was my Nest thermostat. I guess these new smart thermostats draw more power and tap the heating/cooling system for the voltage it needs = my AC was not getting enough voltage. It ran but was blowing room temperature air. He fixed it by feeding the thermostat directly, something called a common line ? 

I don't have one but was thinking of getting one for the new unit.  I had a new thermostat installed almost 10 years ago and never had any problems.  This was just a matter of age.  The unit was way past its typical lifespan and it was getting too frankensteiny (Not sure what % of it is original).  We're buying a new house sometime this year so I would've had to replace it anyway.