• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Online Price Guide?

24 posts in this topic

In my product (TheComicSheet) I faced some of the same questions regarding how to list the titles of books. For the most part (with a few exceptions) I stuck with the title listed exactly as it is on the CGC label. But on the X-Men I made a decision to list #1 - #141 as part of 'Uncanny X-Men' while volume 2 X-Men is listed as 'X-Men'. smile.gif

A related problem is how the sellers list their books online. That info is often captured as it was listed. If the seller enters the title incorrectly or differently from how you chose to categorize it, and it's not noticed and corrected... it may end up in the wrong place. At least until a good customer notices it and lets you know smile.gif With the help of eagle-eye customers who take the time to point out these types of unavoidable errors... the data can always be adjusted and improved. Luckily there is not a very high percentage of mislabeled auctions.

Another problem is when sellers fail to indicate the volume # when the title is the same. Often the value difference make it apparent that a V2 is mixed in with the V1 data, but its not always obvious. I would expect there could be harder to identify situations when there may be a V3 and V4 mixed in with little value differences.

On a similar note, GPAnalysis has developed a system that captures "Sales Only" and filters out "Reserve Not Met" auctions which is an important feature when relying on the information to make an informed decision to buy or sell. GPA also records sales from the other major sources besides Ebay... such as Heritage, etc. Although Heritage, The Vault and others have their own searchable systems, having all the data together in one place is a time-saving advantage and also allows for more accurate averaging and more complete analysis of ALL the info.

It seems that the idea of capturing CGC sales is taking off now as the need is becoming obvious (like the Overstreet Guide became necessary 33 ago) several more products are coming. We know printed guides from both Krause and Gemstone are on their way. The success of the printed products IMO, will have much to do with the frequency/cost of publication and how it coincides (accurately keeps up with) the ever changing CGC market which often experiences significant enough variation and trends in very little time.

Soon there will be choices to accommodate everyone's varying needs. For the more active buyers/sellers who will need to rely on "sales only" data from all major sources (available within 24 hours) in a searchable online format... GPAnalysis is a great product that will not disappoint. I also feel the less active would find that it would pay for itself as well if there was some way they could track the better decisions they would have made with the service vs. without. Since I've been involved with the project and have used GPA well in advance of its launch... I can say without any hesitation that its simply a phenomenal tool. I believe it will pay for itself over and over again by allowing subscribers to be the quickest and most accurately informed buyers/sellers in the market. I could not imagine being without it now.

An application is also in development for both PC and Mac environments that will allow you to connect to the site and access info even quicker (without screen redraw). GPA will always be looking at way to improve the product and appreciates (and will sometimes apply) input from its subscribers.

Anyone interested should click this link for more information:

http://www.gpanalysis.com/

If you click on products... and then Click here to find out more you will be able to run informative Flash Animation Demos that better describe the capabilities of the various subscription levels.

Any questions? email me bronzebruce13@comcast.net