• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proper Comic Placement in Long Box

9 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I just purchased my first long box and was wondering how to properly store the comics inside. I’m guessing I’ll want to place a board on each end so the first and last comic doesn’t rest directly against the handles, but what about them stacked against each other? Do I face them all one way or alternate every other one’s direction so the spines are not all on one side (face forward, face backward, face forward...)? Any advise helps!

Edited by finalfan7asy

49 minutes ago, finalfan7asy said:

Hey everyone,

I just purchased my first long box and was wondering how to properly store the comics inside. I’m guessing I’ll want to place a board on each end so the first and last comic doesn’t rest directly against the handles, but what about them stacked against each other? Do I face them all oneway or alternate every other one’s direction so the spines are not all on one side (face forward, face backward, face forward...)? Any advise helps!

Won't the alternating method result in a book to book, no board between them, situation ? That doesn't sound good. Honestly, I've never seen anything but all facing the same direction. Definitely place a couple boards on the front and back.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Won't the alternating method result in a book to book, no board between them, situation ? That doesn't sound good. Honestly, I've never seen anything but all facing the same direction. Definitely place a couple boards on the front and back.

What's wrong with a no board situation?  All books are bagged/boarded so the books never physically touch and then they are alternated to avoid having all the spines on one side.  This allows for more books to fit into the box as the spine is typically thicker than the flip side.  This also means a more even distribution of pressure throughout the box as opposed to more pressure being applied to the spine of the books.

18 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

What's wrong with a no board situation?  All books are bagged/boarded so the books never physically touch and then they are alternated to avoid having all the spines on one side.  This allows for more books to fit into the box as the spine is typically thicker than the flip side.  This also means a more even distribution of pressure throughout the box as opposed to more pressure being applied to the spine of the books.

I've just never seen it stored like this. With all facing the same direction, there effectively is a board in front and back. I understand and agree about less pressure if the books are alternated but I would think it's better to have a board between each book. I am interested to hear how others feel about this.

If I'm starting a new box, I usually place a small stack sideways so that the ones facing normal don't slide down which happens a lot. I place one of those plastic Title dividers in between so that the boards aren't cutting into that front cover of the regular stack. Also leave a little room to flip through the books. You don't want 300 books jammed into one box.:cry:

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

My main concern about alternating the comics was the cover to cover contact. I'm not sure what effect this would have on the books long-term. If I leave them all facing forward and avoid packing them tight, I'm assuming there shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by finalfan7asy

10 hours ago, finalfan7asy said:

I found this YouTube video... 

Well, the video obviously recommends the alternating method. I'm just not convinced, goes against my intuition on the matter. It's funny to me that he is concerned about the pressure and flattening out of the spines when, in today's environment, everyone gets their books pressed anyway. One thing he points out that I agree with, leave some room in the box, do not overfill. 

I believe in the benefit of alternating covers to keep from any spine roll from spines all in same direction. My slight tweak is rather than alternating direction of covers, I alternate whether book is top-down or reversed down-top. This way, I can still tab through books easily (think that would be annoying if books were alternating direction, much harder to see what book it is if it’s facing opposite direction from where you are). And spine direction still alternates so you get the benefit of preventing spine roll. 

It’s not perfect tabbing through books (half the books you can only see the bottom, but still easier than constantly flipping viewing direction). 

Otherwise, agree with everyone above. Couple boards on either end, and don’t overpack.