• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much do you think this chip will deduct?

9 posts in this topic

I'll be slabbing close to 30 books in the next month or so. I received one today that's in perfect condition, but it has a small chip in the lower left corner. It seems to have come from manufacturing, but I was wondering how much something like this might deduct on an otherwise mint book. (The images are very high def, and nick is much smaller than it appears, so I added a finger for scale.)

Thanks in advance!

20180604_132754.jpg

20180604_132804.jpg

20180604_132818.jpg

20180604_133218.jpg

Considering it was $9.99, I really wish Marvel had just added 20 pages of content and gone the maxiprint route (or whatever it's called) that DC did with Action Comics #1000.  Every copy of ASM #800 that I saw on the shelf had damaged corners because of the thickness of the book coupled with the standard paper cover.

Yeah they all had some damage but that one looks a little worse than the average I saw. If you got it at your LCS I'd try to exchange it. I don't think you will get higher than a 9.6 with that.

16 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

Yeah they all had some damage but that one looks a little worse than the average I saw. If you got it at your LCS I'd try to exchange it. I don't think you will get higher than a 9.6 with that.

I agree. ALL of the books I looked at had the chip but usually it was either on the front or back but not both. IMO, this example had some extra impact. It's past being just a chip and is turning into a tear. Putting this book in a slab and bouncing it around in shipping is not going to help. 

Edited by Bomber-Bob

It was the virgin Customer Appreciation variant from Unknown Comics. I emailed them and hope they can find a solution, but I always assume they're simply out of stock or that this is an acceptable level of damage for a book that only has a certain guaranteed condition.

21 hours ago, ftlepore said:

It was the virgin Customer Appreciation variant from Unknown Comics. I emailed them and hope they can find a solution, but I always assume they're simply out of stock or that this is an acceptable level of damage for a book that only has a certain guaranteed condition.

If they can't replace it, but offer to take it back I would do that. You will probably be able to find an already graded one by now for the price of the book plus slabbing. Hope it works out. What's the cover look like for that variant?

4 hours ago, ftlepore said:

Unlikely, unfortunately. The book is going for around $60 unslabbed on eBay and it only cost $20, so it was a great price. It was a customer appreciation variant which they sold out of. I've attached the cover for the book, which is a great Kirkham cover.

s-l500.jpg

Nice! Hadn't seen that one.