• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 129 Extra Staples - not manufacturing.

48 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Kav, you would be correct if this was a case of a neatly executed application of an extra set of staples. However, in this situation, it was staple on top of staple resulting in more damage than normal. The bent staple, tears, holes, etc cannot be ignored in the grade.

Isnt it true though that a bent over corner miscut does not get downgraded and it is also more damage than normal?

3 minutes ago, kav said:

Isnt it true though that a bent over corner miscut does not get downgraded and it is also more damage than normal?

As with all flaws, CGC takes into consideration the severity of the flaw. In another thread recently the topic of marvel chipping was discussed. Some argued that since the chipping is bindery, CGC ignores the flaw. Bob Storms contacted Paul Litch and confirmed they do downgrade for the flaw, actually measuring the totality of the missing areas. I just don't think you can broad stroke the idea that bindery flaws are ignored. Depending on the condition of the rest of the book,and the severity of the flaw, bindery flaws may be 'ignored' or applied to the grade. IMO, it has to be this way, otherwise a completely mangled book coming off the printer could be eligible for a 9.8 . (shrug) 

Just now, Bomber-Bob said:

As with all flaws, CGC takes into consideration the severity of the flaw. In another thread recently the topic of marvel chipping was discussed. Some argued that since the chipping is bindery, CGC ignores the flaw. Bob Storms contacted Paul Litch and confirmed they do downgrade for the flaw, actually measuring the totality of the missing areas. I just don't think you can broad stroke the idea that bindery flaws are ignored. Depending on the condition of the rest of the book,and the severity of the flaw, bindery flaws may be 'ignored' or applied to the grade. IMO, it has to be this way, otherwise a completely mangled book coming off the printer could be eligible for a 9.8 . (shrug) 

Is there no difference then between a book that was stapled by a kid and extra staples from bindery?  I just cant accept that.  In that case whats the difference between someone trimming the top edge of a book and a book that came out like that?  There has to be some difference in grade between what someone does to a book vs how it came off the press.

1 hour ago, kav said:

Call back and say are you telling me if someone staples a book it gets the same grade as a manufacturing error because I dont believe it-let me talk to someone else.  

With your permission I want to start a thread on this in comics general we need more experts to weigh in.

be my guest - also, heres  few better pix.

IMG_3102.JPG

IMG_3101.JPG

IMG_3098.JPG

19 hours ago, Ozonetv said:

be my guest - also, heres  few better pix.

IMG_3102.JPG

IMG_3101.JPG

IMG_3098.JPG

I agree with bomber-bob on this though I do feel that they should at least have been able to determine if the staples were "manufacture" related vs after the fact with consumer staples and I would like that noted on the label just to eliminate confusion with a future sale whether it matters to the buyer or not.  It sounds like they are at least willing to concede that they are original manufacture (stitching) staples so depending on the cost and your OCD, you could request they relabel it as such.

In my opinion, the top double staple doesn't look that bad and is hardly noticeable.  The bottom one is fugly and asthetics aside, I'd be more concerned about the long term structural integrity of the cover at the bottom staple.  Since it's entombed in a case it's probably not in as much danger of a detached cover at the bottom staple as if it were raw and frequently used as a reader copy.  But I do worry what SCS might result in if shipped frequently or swings in humidiyt/temperature to the paper brittleness. The first bottom staple appears to be doing it's job holding the cover in place and the 2nd one is to some extent.  I'd maybe want to seek CGC or CCS's advice on the long term effects of that mangled jagged 2nd bottom staple to the integrity of the cover.  It looks like over time it has worsened a staple tear to a potential detachment.  Perhaps, ask them if professionally removing that 2nd bottom staple would be more  or less beneficial to the long term preservation of the comic without impacting the grade.

I agree that the second set of staples appear to be original. And I think that many of the above points are valid and support my overall view of preserving and protecting comic books and other fine collectibles. With that said, it looks to me as if you have at least five possible options: 1) Keep the book as it is and show it off as an interesting conversation piece (no extra cost/time/trouble involved) 2) Send it back to CGC for further evaluation and a possible label change (extra costs/time/trouble involved)3) Put it up for sale and see how much you can get for it the way it is (extra c, t & t involved)4) Send it to CCS or some other conservation company, have the staples and damage fixed, then send it back to CGC and let them regrade it (lots of extra c, t & t involved, and no more blue label).   5) Crack it out and keep it as a reading copy (a little extra time and trouble involved). Whatever you decide, I hope it all works out for you...good luck!  

3 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I agree that the second set of staples appear to be original. And I think that many of the above points are valid and support my overall view of preserving and protecting comic books and other fine collectibles. With that said, it looks to me as if you have at least five possible options: 1) Keep the book as it is and show it off as an interesting conversation piece (no extra cost/time/trouble involved) 2) Send it back to CGC for further evaluation and a possible label change (extra costs/time/trouble involved)3) Put it up for sale and see how much you can get for it the way it is (extra c, t & t involved)4) Send it to CCS or some other conservation company, have the staples and damage fixed, then send it back to CGC and let them regrade it (lots of extra c, t & t involved, and no more blue label).   5) Crack it out and keep it as a reading copy (a little extra time and trouble involved). Whatever you decide, I hope it all works out for you...good luck!  

Thanks - I'll go for option 1 - I bought it for display, so I'm happy with it.