• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie collector and wondering about cgc

8 posts in this topic

So I have a few comics that seem to be good finds. I have secret wars #8 sandman #8 variant cover and the punisher first solo. Now my question is will it be better if I spend the extra money to get them in this case with the cgc grade? Sorry if it’s a dumb question.

33 minutes ago, Rick818 said:

So I have a few comics that seem to be good finds. I have secret wars #8 sandman #8 variant cover and the punisher first solo. Now my question is will it be better if I spend the extra money to get them in this case with the cgc grade? Sorry if it’s a dumb question.

It's not a dumb question but without any pics or mention of the condition of the books it's difficult to answer you. Your books are not major keys, so they would have to in near perfect condition to justify the costs of slabbing. Slabbing may help the Sandman book as it will authenticate the variant.

Depends on grade

Most of the time you'd need to take it out of the bag to get an accurate view of the grade.  BUT it doesn't look like there's boards in these bags.  If they've been sitting in a box somewhere without boards for 20+ years that's probably not ideal.

You can look for online grading guides (just google it) to get an idea of how to grade comics, but basically you would want these to be CGC 9.8, so essentially that would mean they are flawless - no bends, creases, rips, tears, markings, dirt, tanning, color fading, waves, spine rolls, spine ticks on any of the pages or covers.  It should lie flat with sharp corners.  Like what do you think it would look like if it was literally just printed at the factory?  That is a CGC 9.8, and that's what these need to be to be worth grading.**

** for those out there that say "Well technically you could have one or maybe two really minor defects and still get a 9.8", I'd say that's technically true but not helpful for this conversation.  For the purpose of helping out a newbie, if you don't think its perfect, its not a 9.8.  Even then, it still might not be.  So for the purposes here, it must be perfect or else don't bother grading (assuming you care about value, which not everyone does).

Ok thanks again for all the help! There is a bent corner on some but they all look flat. Mostly white pages and great covers with no movement on the staples. I’ll have to think if it’s even worth it tho. Once again thanks for the help. It’s always appreciated!