• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raw vs. CGCed?

86 posts in this topic

OK, we've all seen posts about the value of graded or CGCed comics. My questions is, would any of you pay a premium for an encapsulated comic vs. a raw comic if Steve Borock and company told you they were virtualy identical? Two comics, one in plastic and one in a Mylar, but exactly the same grade (or as close as possible). How much more would you pay for the hard plastic comic?

Thanks!

Mike

God bless our troops!

It's kind of an unrealistic scenario since the CGC employees are forbidden from selling comics...but if I was considering the purchase of a book, had the seller send it to CGC with the explicit instructions to grade and restoration check it but to skip the encapsulation process, and I called CGC to find out the grade and restoration status prior to sending payment to the seller or CGC mailing the book out to me, then yes, I'd pay the same amount as if it were in plastic. It's not the plastic I pay for, it's the comparative protection from the snakes of the industry.

OK, we've all seen posts about the value of graded or CGCed comics. My questions is, would any of you pay a premium for an encapsulated comic vs. a raw comic if Steve Borock and company told you they were virtualy identical?

I wouldn't. I am confident enough in my restoration identification to feel ok about books I examine. I have only two pre-code horror books that were CGC'd. A NM- 9.2 THING 16 (warehouser) and a Mister Mystery 13 F-. I have removed the THING from the slab and like it a lot more that way. I have retained the Mister Mystery 13 in the slab because it is so elusive that I am holding it until I find a similar unslabbed one. Then will sell the slabbed.

"....CGC employees are forbidden from selling comics..."

John Chruscinski (spelling?) of Tropic Comics wasn't buying and selling CGCed material when he was employed as a grader at CGC??????? confused.gif

His PICTURE was in the Overstreet guide on the advisors page with the sub-title, "CGC grader", during the year of issue when he was running auction after auction on Ebay of books like:

Captain America 1 CGC NM- 9.2 Purple label

Action 1 CGC VF/NM 9.0 Purple label

All Star 3 CGC VF+ 8.5 Purple label

etc. etc. etc. etc.

Maybe why he is no longer a grader there? He is a FORMER employee...timing of the Overstreet guide and caption are coincidental; and we all know how behind data in the OS is...

It's like a high school yearbook; pics are taken for it around the first semester and usually it is all set and sent to print by the 2nd semester during midterms...so at year end, all the students that dropped out or faculty that were let go/fired will still show up in the yearbook.

Apply that to the Overstreet guide; pics of the folks in there are from the 70's...

not saying that it doesn't happen Hammer - it very well could, but in Tropics comic John's case, I think he was selling after he got out of CGC...

In THAT case, did he wind up grading HIS OWN BOOKS, while an employee at CGC? Apparent NM- was a very lenient grade for a Cap 1 that STILL had extremely evident tape impressions around the spine even after the restoration. Similarly, the Action 1 in Apparent 9.0 appeared as though the "submittor" (John C.) was leading a charmed life when it came to submissions.

Would pay marginally less for the raw copy due to the greater liquidity of the slabbed book. But I mean marginally less. Within 5 or 10%.

Dan

Right about the grade, but that's why I asked about what you would pay knowing both comics are exactly the same grade... If you're keeping it for yourself, does that make a difference?

If I know it's unrestored, then no, it doesn't make a difference, I'll pay the same slabbed or unslabbed. I can live with restoration, but the rest of the market can't, and I don't want to take a bath if I ever upgrade or have to resell the comic at some point.

If you know for a fact the 2 are the same, then there's no possible reason for paying more, outside of the grading fee.

If you know for a fact the 2 are the same, then there's no possible reason for paying more, outside of the grading fee.

Of course there is AK. As you are fond of saying yourself, CGC books provide greater liquidity should you decide to sell.

Of course there is AK. As you are fond of saying yourself, CGC books provide greater liquidity should you decide to sell.

HEY - I said that first - look one above. Don't take my ideas, tool them to your words, make them sound original - then post you ... dagnabbit ... my biscuits are burning! I shall file a law suit....dagnabbit! My biscuits are burnin'!!!!

grin.gif

Exactly, and you just proved my point. The reason CGC books are more liquid is because there is no guesswork(for the most part) as to what you're getting, so you're eliminating the pitfalls that exist. But under this scenario, I know EXACTLY what I'm getting. So I know that the raw book in question is exactly the same as the slabbed book in question. Therefore, there is no reason to pay more for the slabbed book, other than the grading fee. Liquidity would not be an issue with the raw copy because whenever I chose to sell, I could simply submit the book and know EXACTLY what I'd get.

I'd prefer owning raw solid NM copies of books. Which is why most of the books that I know are NM, are not slabbed. Some ones that I'm iffy on, I submit just so that I know if I have to sell it and get a new one. I don't read them, mostly because I have mid-grade raw copies of most of the Marvel titles that I like and those are the copies I read. I just like being able to have the ability (if so desired) to open it and look at it. Plus I'm not 100 percent positive the slabs are all that protective from damage.

Brian

Theoretically.

Yes, that was already the whole premise of this thread. smirk.gif

There is still some marginal value associated with being able to sell the slabbed book on the spot. I.e. you can't completely take the liquidity argument away because there are still the hassles and time involved in submitting the book before you could sell...

...liquidity is time... time is liquidity... time is money... HENCE, liquidity is worth money... grin.gif

D