• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raw vs. CGCed?

86 posts in this topic

How many of these $1.00 to $50.00 value books do you imagine that ALL THREE graders are wasting their eyesight, collective resources, and TIME on, with piles of REAL COMICS (with actual value) are awaiting their services?
Are you commenting upon the amount of time taken on different types of comics, or are you disputing the fact that three graders look at every comic? Or both?

Both. I know that POLITICALLY, to appease submittor's of dubious value books, CGC MUST give the impression that as much care and time is taken by THREE different graders, painstakingly examining books of little value, and THAT'S common sense. To many submittors, their $25.00 book IS a big deal, and just as important to them as an Action 1 in Fine to someone else, BUT...in practice, do you actually think that three graders are going to huddle and agonize over a Sub-Mariner 21, trying to ascertain whether it should get a 6.0 or a 6.5, in the same manner that they will to determine and come to agreement on whether or not an FF 1 is a 8.0 or 8.5??????? They'd be a one year lag in returning standard submissions if they huddled and hondled over EVERYTHING, you don't think so?

I do believe you're right about the amount of time spent on books from the different grading service tiers, but as to whether or not three graders look at each and every book--that part is more black and white. Read the first sentence on the back of the slab label. The grade is just a guaran-TY, but the fact that three people look at every book is a guaran-TEE. So if there aren't three people looking at every book, there's a potential lawsuit there.

The grade is just a guaran-TY, but the fact that three people look at every book is a guaran-TEE. So if there aren't three people looking at every book, there's a potential lawsuit there.

This may be true, but what is the ACTUAL wording on the label?

Looking at a book is quite different to meticulously examining a book for defects. The time spent with each book is the important thing, just a cursory glance at a book could actually be worse than not looking at the book at all.

"Potential lawsuit"?

Is it common practice to allow submittors to WITNESS the grading process? To be present with a notary public, a cam-corder, or a lawyer...to document the amount of time each grader spends in assessing their book. To document HOW MANY graders assess the book?

You can't control what ex-employees may or may not say or do; it wouldn't be worth risking the business to habitually operate that way. But then again...avenues for fraud extend on forever, don't they?

I wouldn't exactly call ONE grader being able to handle the task of assessment on a Silver Surfer 17 in Fine+, fraud. We're talking about a book that will experience a swing of approx. $3.00 in value dependent upon it being a 6.0, a 6.5, or a 7.0. I would assume that ONE grader SHOULD be able to handle that task well enough on his own. Realistically, in the REAL world, in practice, no matter what advocates role you tend to here on the Forums, do you actually think that behind closed doors, THREE graders are agonizingly straining their eyes over a TOS 87 in VG in the same manner that they would a Mile High Golden age Action issue??? God bless your child-like naivety if you can say that you honestly do!!

This may be true, but what is the ACTUAL wording on the label?
"CGC guarantees this comic book to be genuine and inspected by a minimum of one pre-grader and two graders."

Refdesk.com definitions for the verb "inspect":

1 : to view closely in critical appraisal : look over

2 : to examine officially

Refdesk.com definitions for the verb "inspect":

1 : to view closely in critical appraisal : look over

2 : to examine officially

Lets hope that CGC read these definitions before they printed the labels. grin.gif

C'mon Jamie, Don't you ever see books on Ebay that are CGC graded, and on their census and literally laugh?....thinking to yourself, "Jesus...what was going through the grader's minds when they had to "pool their resources" to grade this X-Men 100 in 0.5"? Regardless of the implications or non-implications on the label, do you think they spend as much time comparing notes to assess a grade on books that aren't even worth the wholesale value of the paper that comprises the label, or would you think that maybe SB, or another of the graders could handle that toughy on their own, with a stack of high grade Spidermans that just arrived for walk-through service awaiting grading? PUH-Lease....let's talk..I SAY, let's talk common sense here (in my best Foghorn Leghorn impression)....nice boy but he doesn't listen.

I think I'm just not understanding where the question came from to begin with...I don't even look at the kinds of books you're talking about, so I've never seen the kinds of lax grading on them you're referring to. I don't have any idea how their grading is on very cheap or very low-grade books. Forgive me if I'm suffering from delayed forum post attention deficit disorder, but with regards to the amount of time and/or collaboration the graders put in for each book, it sounds like you're saying I'm wrong about something I never made any claims about to begin with.

You can't control what ex-employees may or may not say or do

Two words for ya ... nondisclosure and agreement! laugh.gif

I'd bet a stack of bone-white page Salida pedigrees that every CGC employee has to sign one!

Al

Jamie, You have a way of twisting your words and making inferences that is unique to this Board. As CGC's lapdog, and in your own words ("SB considers me his right hand man"), you feel that you must rise to the defense of CGC. BUT, there's nothing to defend! You made a ridiculous statement..."there's be a lawsuit if CGC didn't have all three graders treat each book similarly". I have NO idea what goes on behind closed company doors. Maybe they DO spend 30 minutes, an hour, two hours, whatever, assessing an X-Men 100 in 0.5 extensively then spend additional hours deliberating amonst themselves whether the book should get a 0.5 or a 1.0 (probably a net dollar value difference of $.10). I have no idea. But NEITHER DO YOU. It just seemed common sense to me that they MIGHT, though highly unlikely, spend a few more moments in deliberation on a Pay Copy of Marvel 1 than an X-Men 100 in 0.5 .

As CGC's lapdog, and in your own words ("SB considers me his right hand man"),
I never said that...doesn't even make any sense. How the heck would I be his "right hand man"; I've never met the guy and I've only chatted with him briefly in these forums! confused.gif

..."there's be a lawsuit if CGC didn't have all three graders treat each book similarly"
This is easily verifiable--you misquoted and misunderstood my statement. The text you misquoted is earlier in this thread--or on the back of the CGC label, if you prefer. I never in the entire thread made any claim as to how long CGC spends on a book, or how long they spend on different books, except when I agreed with you that it's possible they spend more time on expensive books as compared to cheap ones.

Two words for ya ... nondisclosure and agreement!
That would be an interesting non-disclosure agreement--"All employees must keep fraud perpetuated by the company in the strictest of confidence." Sounds like something the Enron execs might have tried to pull out in court!

That may be, or it might not. What I DO happen to have read, matter of factly, is an email that was forwarded to me from a Forum member. In this email, one of Jamie's sentences read, ".....I would go as far as to say that I'm proud that SB considers me to be his right hand man".

Don't make me pull out the "...and it makes me feel like a blushing schoolgirl to say that Bugaboo is my gay lover!" e-mails of yours that another forum member forwarded on to me...it could ruin your sterling reputation. tongue.gif