• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mister Miracle 1 worth a resubmit?

16 posts in this topic

Recently purchased a Mister Miracle 1 on eBay and was thrilled when I received it.  CGC graded it at 7.5 and it presents far more nicely.  I was puzzled by the grade and considered buying the grading notes.  Luckily, the seller was the original owner (bought it off the newsstand!) and a premier CGC member.  He graciously accessed the notes and sent them along to me:

"Light spine stress line breaks color medium,very light bend right bottom of back cover moderate spine stress lines break color small light bend left top of front cover breaks color".  No mention of the date stamp in the notes.  Will post detailed pictures.  The book presents just like a slabbed Swamp Thing I just purchased that was given an 8.5.  Anyone think this is worth resubmitting?

IMG_3458.JPG.c2899dc281b07cf8b3a19e88f1994791.JPG

IMG_3458.JPG

Edited by iganatz

I think the spine stress that breaks color (especially at the top staple) and the wear to the top corners of the front cover are the main reasons why this ended up as a 7.5. Unfortunately, those flaws won't come out with a press. Whenever I'm unsatisfied with a book in my collection, I usually just sell it and look around for a better copy. That's all part of the fun, right?  :juggle:

Edited by The Lions Den
Punctuation added

34 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I think the spine stress that breaks color (especially at the top staple) and the wear to the top corners of the front cover are the main reasons why this ended up as a 7.5. Unfortunately, those flaws won't come out with a press. Whenever I'm unsatisfied with a book in my collection, I usually just sell it and look around for a better copy. That's all part of the fun, right?  :juggle:

Agreed. It's always a bummer when you get a book back lower than expected, but life goes on & so does your collection. It is a very nice book though with a great cover.

Nice book. I actually like Big Barda more than Mr. M.  :smirk:

Just undecided if I want to pay the insane prices for Issue #4.

Edited by Brian48

6 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

This. Flaws impervious to pressing. Might luck out with an 8.0 because the presentation and color is top notch, but not worth the added expense and it'll probably score another 7.5 anyway. Nice book though.

4 hours ago, joeypost said:

90 day average for a 7.5 is $163.00

90 day average for an 8.0 is $191.00

$28.00 difference according to GPA.

This is typically proportion of most $1000 and under key Silver age and bronze age books in the 6.5 to 8.0 grade range. This narrow band of price difference between grades that are highly susceptible to change based on the eye appeal of each particular book. Where at times, a beautiful 7.0 or 7.5 can sell for more than a not so beautiful 8.0 based on either eye appeal or pressing potential/speculation. It's not unusual to see this cluster of close prices between them due to this.

Edited by James J Johnson