• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What the heck is SOTI??

36 posts in this topic

i feel i'm starting millions of threads - but these are genuine questions.

i keep seeing the acronym SOTI. after months, i've figured out it means seduction of the innocent - what the heck does that mean?

oh yeah - and what's

LMAO?

ROFL?

thanks for putting up with my ANP (acronym-NON-prowess) grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Seduction of the Innocent - 1950s book written by Fredric Wertham. Anti-comic book. Led to creation of the comics code.

ROFL - rolling on floor laughing

LMAO - laughing my off

if I am not mistaken i believe

LMAO = leave my anus outside. derived from an old viking addage dealing with hats and visitors duties. I think the whole saying goes "If you wear that horned helmet again, I will leave my anus outside"

ROFL =Reeking of farting lions. In some african cultures, the same ones where it is mythically polite to burp after a good meal, it is always known to be better to go to bed "reeking of farting Lions" than to wake up lying in a reeking fart. guess it has its own charm and logic. in some countries

Hope I helped laugh.giflaugh.gif

Seduction of the Innocent is a book put out by Frederic Wertham which hypothesized that certain comics lead teens to be juvenile deliquents. Some collectors search out the comics identified in the book. Here's a link that describes the contents --> Seduction of the Innocent information

LMAO = Laugh my @ss off

ROFL = Rolling on floor laughing

Here's a link for more info --> Chat acronyms!

Not only did it lead to the comics code coming into being, but it signaled the end of the Horror Comic craze of the 50s, which was the dominant genre of comic book at the time. The SOTI book is a collectible in its own right, for its historic importance. Also, many specific horror comic books were mentioned in this book, and those that were mentioned are often denoted in the overstreet price guide as such, with higher demand/value. With the death of the horror comic genre, these books/titles "grew up" to become the rebirth of the superhero/marvel age. That's why TOS (a horror comic) became an iron man comic, and TTA (another horror comic) became Ant-Man. Ditto for Strange Tales, etc.

That's just awesome...I've been watching the copies of that book on E-Bay go for $75 to $200 or more since it's out of print. All I wanted to do is read it, so that web site is great. I would assume it's legal since it wasn't a popular enough book for his heirs to worry about renewing the copyright on.

i keep seeing the acronym SOTI. after months, i've figured out it means seduction of the innocent - what the heck does that mean?

I went to the URL listed above but am confused by the color images. Anyway - the text seems right. Here are some scans from my copy. It will give you a feel for the book itself (all b&w - no color pics were published in it).

Here is a shot of the cover:

Soti Front Cover

A shot of the back cover showing the illustrious Dr. Wertham:

Soti Back Cover

An interior shot showing how Wertham uses illustrations with text expressing his opinions:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/realart@pacbell.net/vwp?.dir=/comics&.dnm=sotipics.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

Here is a chapter heading:

Soti Chapter

Here are the first two pages of that chapter:

SOTI Text

While some of this can be found on the link, I thought actually seeing the book itself would be more real. So there ya go! grin.gif

OK - I have corrected as many typos as I care to. Scanning/uploading the book was trial enough so do not feel bad about the typos - if some are still there to heck with them.

Mine is the less elusive first printing with the biblio pages cut out (the remnants of the pages are still there). Thankfully it has a xerox of the missing pages.

To be honest, I don't really care about the edition. I paid $50 with dust jacket and feel fine about it. I had been holding out for a few years after the initial Kitchen Sink press announcement they were were going to reprint it. It didn't happen and found this one at $100 "marked down 50%" at the Boston Convention in 1999.

So I feel $50 was a good deal!

So I feel $50 was a good deal!

Yeah, that's a good deal! If I had any motivation, I would get a copy! BTW, do you own a copy of Parade of Pleasure? confused.gif

BTW, do you own a copy of Parade of Pleasure?

No - and it seems MUCH more scarce than SOTI. I have been looking for a copy literally for years. I find them on net book searches on ocassion and they are either insanely overpriced (I am talking close to if not 4 figures) or I inquire on a properly priced one and find they have been sold. Most frustrating.

We should start a "classic lines" from SOTI thread.

Here's one I love:

"Since I have written about comic books I have heard from quite a number of young adults who told me that their childhood emotional masturbation problem was started or aggravated by comic books"

Ok - which one of you young adults told him that?

Ok - which one of you young adults told him that?

You did? crazy.gif

You did look pretty geeky in your early 90s picture! shocked.gif

Oh, I guess you're not a fool and will pay MotorCity for their highly priced copy?

Nope - but thanks to your question am buying one as we speak! Paid $149 plus shipping. No DJ but really don't care. I have been wanting to read this for so long and soon I shall!