• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PACIFIC COAST COLLXN- THE LAST GREAT SILVER AGE PEDIGREE??

125 posts in this topic

My view is that pressing returns an item to its original form. It does not try to represent it by adding in new pieces or supplying new color. It works with the existing form and this is not restoration in my eyes.

Well, that`s just peachy keen, Russ.

Then you go right ahead and keep paying top dollar for HG comics that are only HG because they`ve been pressed. And if it becomes well known that some were pressed, and you try to sell those same issues for the same price, good luck! thumbsup2.gif

Hello Tim.

I can see where you are coming from with these comments however I need to make my position a little clearer.

I now virtually only collect Pedigree'd comics. With that in mind if I want to purchase a certain Pedigree's comic that has gone through the pressing system then you are spot on. I will probably have to shell out top dollar for a book known to have been pressed.

As we are aware its not like all Pedigree's have multiple copies of an issue and sometimes it a once in a lifetime opportunity to make a purchase.

Your statement about reselling the book may be valid if the tracking of pressed books becomes the norm however in my case I have no plans to sell my collection so the resale potential does not affect my end goal of creating a hand-me -down collection to future family.

I will also clarify that I would prefer a non pressed book but if a pressed book is all thats on offer I will not be excluding it from my want list.

I hope this sheds some light on my situation. I respect your viewpoint and hope that you in turn can understand where my views are coming from.

Hi Russ, no worries, as you like to say in Oz. As long as any collector's eyes are open and he's making an informed decision, then he's certainly entitled to do whatever he wants.

I think it's fair to say that the guide has more than its share of internal inconsistencies and probably shouldn't be relied on as the be-all, end-all of the debate.

True, but it's still probably a better starting point than Oxford's. tonofbricks.gif

27_laughing.gif

I`m pretty surprised that one of the biggest SA collectors out there, who`s also an up and coming dealer, has now publicly stated that he has had books pressed and doesn`t believe that NDP is restoration, and there`s not been one response, either pro or con.

tth2;

Well, here's my take on Doug's revelation that although he has never personally pressed any books himself, he has employed the use of a pressing service for some of his books:

Kudos to Doug for having both the integrity and guts to come on these boards and publicly announce this. I just wish more dealers would come out and make this type of announcement since I am sure that Doug is not alone in keeping the restorers as busy as they have been.

To me this is good news, especially if Doug is willing to state that a particular book has been pressed, if he is so asked by a potential purchaser of a book. This will allow me to make a more informed bid by providing a higher degree of certainty and confidence in the book I am bidding on.

I should make the disclaimer that I have purchased a few books from Doug's Pedigree Comics website in the past. Nothing but excellent service here with questions answered promptly, coupled with an amazing selection of HG books makes this a winning combination. Although all of my purchases so far have been very very minor from a value point of view, I will admit that I have not bidded on anything expensive or even anything at all this year due to the possibility of undisclosed pressing.

I will now certainly consider making some high value purchases from Doug as long as he is willing to state whether a particular book has been pressed or not, if I so decide to ask. There is nothing like bidding on something and knowing exactly what you are getting, as opposed to bidding blindly in the dark and just hoping for the best.

Needless to say, I have avoided certain sites and dealers simply because they are not willing to answer simple questions about their books. With Doug's site, I will now be able to bid accordingly, based upon Doug's knowledge of whether a book has been pressed or not. With dealers that follow a policy of non-disclosure, I will just have to assume that everything has been pressed and bid accordingly........i.e. no point wasting my time there.

Bottom-line: It's all about disclosure and bringing certainty and confidence back into the marketplace along with more dollars. Non-disclosure results in only uncertainty and a lack of confidence in the marketplace which only serves to scare money away.

Bottom-line: It's all about disclosure and bringing certainty and confidence back into the marketplace along with more dollars. Non-disclosure results in only uncertainty and a lack of confidence in the marketplace which only serves to scare money away.

Get out of my head. thumbsup2.gif

Hey drdonaldblake i bet you are glad you started this thread what with all the wonderful information these forumites have given you regarding the subject. Can you here me drdonaldblake.........can you hear me drdonaldblake......nope i think he's long gone....oh well planet earth is blue and there's nothing i can do. Da da da da da da 893applaud-thumb.gif da da da da da da 893applaud-thumb.gif