• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it worth it to get Thanos Quest Signed Slabbed?

5 posts in this topic

So I have Thanos quest 1 and 2, I believe they are first printing since the numbers on the interior go from 10 to 1 (second printing I believe go from 10 to 2). They are in excelent shape, I am no expert but I estimate above 9.0.

Jim Starlin will be at the florida super con on July. I also have the complete infinity gauntly, death of captain marvel and batman death in the family, which I will try to get signed as well, but they are not anywhere near the condition of the thanos quest.

Has thanos quest become more sought after with the release of the movies?

10 hours ago, Ladic said:

So I have Thanos quest 1 and 2, I believe they are first printing since the numbers on the interior go from 10 to 1 (second printing I believe go from 10 to 2). They are in excelent shape, I am no expert but I estimate above 9.0.

Jim Starlin will be at the florida super con on July. I also have the complete infinity gauntly, death of captain marvel and batman death in the family, which I will try to get signed as well, but they are not anywhere near the condition of the thanos quest.

Has thanos quest become more sought after with the release of the movies?

I thought I heard due to an incident at last year's Comic Con Revolution in Ontario, CA, that Jim Starlin was no longer willing to sign comics for CGC Signature Series.  I heard it had to do with an attendee not paying for his autographs and basically being a deadbeat, which made Jim Starlin cease all CGC signature series submissions and he'd only do autographs without witnessed status.  But, things might have changed from last year and cooler heads may have prevailed.

13 minutes ago, BeholdersEye said:

I thought I heard due to an incident at last year's Comic Con Revolution in Ontario, CA, that Jim Starlin was no longer willing to sign comics for CGC Signature Series.  I heard it had to do with an attendee not paying for his autographs and basically being a deadbeat, which made Jim Starlin cease all CGC signature series submissions and he'd only do autographs without witnessed status.  But, things might have changed from last year and cooler heads may have prevailed.

This issue was resolved.  Jim's been signing books to get graded the last few months at least.  In fact, i'm expecting a book signed by him back from CGC any day now.

do math

go to ebay, look at the 'sold' listings for the comics with sigs AND without the sigs AND the raws in the grades you think you have.  Write those down.  You can also go to GPA for more data on the sale prices for the slabs.  Make sure you account for shipping, ebay fees, paypal fees, auction fees, maybe customs or whatever.

Then see how much it costs to get everything slabbed, signed, shipped, insured.  Maybe factor in the time it takes for processing, maybe the convention time of your at the con you might use.  Maybe travel, gas, food, if you're into allocating expenses.

Then see how much it costs without the signature.

Then make your comparisons and make the decision which works for you and your motivations/preferences and your financial situation.  Factor in your own enjoyment, pride in ownership, time it takes to sell, risk/reward of not getting the grade (or getting a better grade), or display value if any, ROI vs absolute gain, etc.

Only you can prevent forest fires, and only you can do the math for yourself.  Its extremely subjective.