• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paging Joey Post, with regards to the waves on SA Marvel annuals

17 posts in this topic

Can these waves be corrected with a certain pressing technique? Or is this a case that since the placement of the glue determines where the cover is adhered to the whole, that once those waves are there, from production, if you flatten one area, you cause another area to "rise-up" into an even higher wave? How much can one expect as an improvement in the waviness of KS annuals with pressing?  Any examples?

19 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Can these waves be corrected with a certain pressing technique? Or is this a case that since the placement of the glue determines where the cover is adhered to the whole, that once those waves are there, from production, if you flatten one area, you cause another area to "rise-up" into an even higher wave? How much can one expect as an improvement in the waviness of KS annuals with pressing?  Any examples?

I owned this squarebound with glue ripples as a CGC 8.5.  I sold it, after which it appeared with the ripples minimized in a CGC 9.2 holder (the pressing very likely also smoothed out the overhang bends along the top edge).

MT1cgc.JPG.7829965913772662b2a461a554fa287f.JPG

Regarding the original question about the ripples or “puckering”  of the cover near the spine...it can be corrected. Depending on the amount of glue applied to the spine, each book can exhibit different amounts of puckering. In some extreme cases the paper has been stretched so bad, it can never really go all the way back and remnants like light creases will remain, even after multiple pressings. In the overwhelming majority of the cases, the book will press out nicely if done by someone experienced. If not you can crush the spine, cause the staples to pop through the paper or cause the glue from the spine to migrate further into the book. 

I hope to post after pictures of the book I used as an example tomorrow. It is in the press now and I will leave it overnight. 

I have sent many books to another pressing service, and that gentleman told me that he sees GSX #1 all the time because of the rippling from glue. He certainly took care of 1 or 2 of my king-sizes with spines like that. Like Joey, he noted that you want someone experienced doing it. I see a lot of amateurs out there. I would never use anyone other than a pro like Joey, Hero Restoration, or someone known and well vetted by collectors.

20 hours ago, joeypost said:

Regarding the original question about the ripples or “puckering”  of the cover near the spine...it can be corrected. Depending on the amount of glue applied to the spine, each book can exhibit different amounts of puckering. In some extreme cases the paper has been stretched so bad, it can never really go all the way back and remnants like light creases will remain, even after multiple pressings. In the overwhelming majority of the cases, the book will press out nicely if done by someone experienced. If not you can crush the spine, cause the staples to pop through the paper or cause the glue from the spine to migrate further into the book. 

I hope to post after pictures of the book I used as an example tomorrow. It is in the press now and I will leave it overnight. 

The staples were my main concern. I suspected that any pressing that would be aggressive enough to effect more than a fleeting change in those waves might further exacerbate staples that are close to, if not already, starting to poke through the covers!

20 hours ago, joeypost said:

"Pucker". A new technical hobby term! (worship)

Don't mind me, I'm just testing it out our new operative word!

pucker.gif

Those books look great, Joey.
From your experience, does the "puckering" return, even if it's just a bit, over time? I only ask because I have a few higher grade magazines that are experiencing these ripples and have often wondered if a press would help them.

6 hours ago, DeadOne said:

From your experience, does the "puckering" return, even if it's just a bit, over time? I only ask because I have a few higher grade magazines that are experiencing these ripples and have often wondered if a press would help them.

By the look of it, there's nothing to revert to, the manufacturing defect has been effectively remedied. Amazing.

11 hours ago, DeadOne said:

That depends. Some of the reasons it could return is due to the pressers techniques/processes when working on the book. I cant divulge too much info without giving some information away,  so i am going to stop there about the actual work on the book. Other factors are storage conditions and relative humidity. If done and stored correctly, the book will stay the same way it comes out of the press. 

Edited by joeypost

3 hours ago, joeypost said:

That depends. Some of the reasons it could return is due to the pressers techniques/processes when working on the book. I cant divulge too much info without giving some information away,  so i am going to stop there about the actual work on the book. Other factors are storage conditions and relative humidity. If done and stored correctly, the book will stay the same way it comes out of the press. 

Yeah, yeah, yeah.. details, schmetails about this and that. The finished product speaks for itself, warlock. I already know exactly how you did it! The old fashioned, taboo, arcane way! ;)