• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SD Comic-Con Panel Discussion On Community Issues - Input Solicited

299 posts in this topic

Hey Scott. hi.gif

The only thing I don't understand is why those that have accepted the practice of pressing feel the need to actively defend it.

This is not an attack, but a sincere inquiry regarding your current 'stance'. flowerred.gif

Scott's family owns a company that makes the metal that is used in the presses. gossip.gif

WHOW!!! ... look what I found with google search. I thought you were just joking 893whatthe.gif

www.FFB-restorationpresses.com

It all makes sense now frustrated.gif

Hey Scott. hi.gif

The only thing I don't understand is why those that have accepted the practice of pressing feel the need to actively defend it.

This is not an attack, but a sincere inquiry regarding your current 'stance'. flowerred.gif

Scott's family owns a company that makes the metal that is used in the presses. gossip.gif

WHOW!!! ... look what I found with google search. I thought you were just joking 893whatthe.gif

Very funny. yeahok.gif

Hey Scott. hi.gif

Very funny. yeahok.gif

Would have been funnier if they sold tack irons. yeahok.gif

Hey Scott. hi.gif

Very funny. yeahok.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

On behalf of my "crew", the "crusaders", the "sheep", any other "comic-sl*ts", and the Mod Squad, we all met, had a quorum and voted it very funny comment of the day!!!

I will take a vocal position on pretty much any issue where I have an opinion and will talk it to death, no matter what it is. I am annoying that way and I refuse to seek treatment for the disorder. Is this surprising to you all of a sudden?

Wait a minute. We are eating at that French Cafe - Jim, Elizabeth you and I. After one of our famous chats I asked you flat out if my habit of pushing a topic irritated you. You replied in the affirmative, with no caveat - just a blunt "yes, it does", making me feel just wonderful And then you come up with THIS?

I will take a vocal position on pretty much any issue where I have an opinion and will talk it to death, no matter what it is. I am annoying that way and I refuse to seek treatment for the disorder. Is this surprising to you all of a sudden?

Wait a minute. We are eating at that French Cafe - Jim, Elizabeth you and I. After one of our famous chats I asked you flat out if my habit of pushing a topic irritated you. You replied in the affirmative, with no caveat - just a blunt "yes, it does", making me feel just wonderful And then you come up with THIS?

It wasn't the way you were pushing the topic that got to me. It was the way that we were both drunk and antagonizing each other that got to me. yay.gif

It wasn't the way you were pushing the topic that got to me. It was the way that we were both drunk and antagonizing each other that got to me. yay.gif

You guys were both drunk and antagonizing? 893whatthe.gif I find this very hard to believe poke2.gif27_laughing.gifflowerred.gif

You did not mention your irritation at yourself. You said nothing to suggest any mutual responsibility. It is wonderful to have the kind of response you gave me, in front of folks like Elizabeth and Jim, so curtly delivered.

You did not mention your irritation at yourself. You said nothing to suggest any mutual responsibility. It is wonderful to have the kind of response you gave me, in front of folks like Elizabeth and Jim, so curtly delivered.

baby.jpg

baby.jpg

Demonstrating your "flat out habit of pushing a topic" very well there. But if you are gonna try to pictorially insult someone, get it right, amateur.

povcries.jpg

Demonstrating your "flat out habit of pushing a topic" very well there. But if you are gonna try to pictorially insult someone, get it right, amateur.

povcries.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif

BTW, when the heck did you learn to spell? You are scaring me. 893whatthe.gif

At least you haven't managed to overcome the split infinitive problem yet though. poke2.gifyay.gif

povcries.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif

At least you haven't managed to overcome the split infinitive problem yet though. poke2.gifyay.gif

Well, I was in work so was in "business mode". And no beer as yet (have totally switched from wine and rum to beer. I sleep MUCH better and feel better on awaking. Busy discovering and rediscovering the current beer market.)

And descriptively speaking, split infinitives are common in all varieties of informal English; however, their status as part of the standard language is controversial. In the 19th century, some grammatical authorities sought to introduce a prescriptive rule that split infinitives should not be used in English. Most authorities from the last 100 years, however, agree that this rule was misguided, and indeed that splitting an infinitive can sometimes reduce ambiguity.

sumo.gif

povcries.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif

Well, I was in work so was in "business mode". And no beer as yet (have totally switched from wine and rum to beer. I sleep MUCH better and feel better on awaking. Busy discovering and rediscovering the current beer market.)

And descriptively speaking, split infinitives are common in all varieties of informal English; however, their status as part of the standard language is controversial. In the 19th century, some grammatical authorities sought to introduce a prescriptive rule that split infinitives should not be used in English. Most authorities from the last 100 years, however, agree that this rule was misguided, and indeed that splitting an infinitive can sometimes reduce ambiguity.

sumo.gif

I don't hold with no book-larnin'! (insert hillbilly icon here)

You know Brad if I was in your profession "freelancing" and you were losing jobs and money because I undercut your rates or took jobs you would be singing another tune. I run a "business", it's to buy and sell comics. Collectors who are "dealers" take money out of my pocket, plain and simple. They sometimes resort to lying in order to get that deal claiming they are "collectors" and a week later they are selling the books on Ebay. And it's not their "b" copy, it's the same book they claimed they had to have for their collection.

This would be very frustrating to me too. But there is two sides to a story and the fact that there is competion is the American way...plain and simple. I heard Bob on here ranting and raving about people selling books, posing as "collectors" and meanwhile they are really part time dealers....

If this is really that much of a problem Bob, then get out of the business. Simple.

It shouldn't matter to you what anyone does with a particular book that they've bought from you. If they paid the price that you were looking for, and that price is usually aggressive, then if they sell the book, keep it, trade it, resubmit it, take it out of the case and turn it into a paper airplane, WHAT DIFFERENCE does it make ??!! -

It seems that Bob feels that only HE should make a profit and only HE should be in the comic business. Well, that isn't going to happen.....

Say a collector does a trade with a dealer....now, he has an ASM 50 9.2 for example. say the book is worth 1500 for arguments sake. The dealer knows that it's worth that much, but it going to give the guy 1000 in trade and the customer then wants a book that the dealer has for 1200.. (meanwhile, the dealer paid 700 for that particular book) -so the customer will take a loss on his ASM 50, then have to pony up the difference.

The dealer then makes money off the book he sold, then will make money off the book he got it trade........ and we as "collectors" should accept this ??!!

Blazing needs a reality check.....

mike "the other" shuley

Hey mark,

How about a little segment called:

"Is this Pressable?"

You could have multiple books with pressable defects & educate collectors as to what type of defects pressing can actually remove. I would suggest you ask FFB if you could borrow a few of his slabs with SCS to use as examples. poke2.gif

It may also help to dispell the belief that "every book is pressable", and would allow collectors to understand the process better.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER headbang.gif

Hey mark,

How about a little segment called:

"Is this Pressable?"

You could have multiple books with pressable defects & educate collectors as to what type of defects pressing can actually remove. I would suggest you ask FFB if you could borrow a few of his slabs with SCS to use as examples. poke2.gif

It may also help to dispell the belief that "every book is pressable", and would allow collectors to understand the process better.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER headbang.gif

foreheadslap.gif Pressing, pressing, pressing....

There are many other issues to discuss. Out of a 90-minute panel which includes 30 minutes of Q&A I can only hope that no more than 5-10 minutes are used to cover this subject.