• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping options

11 posts in this topic

Hello folks! When it comes down to shipping high valued books, which provider is best? I usually use USPS for all my books when sold and shipped. I have received items from UPS and FedEx, but have not used them before. Just trying to figure out which provider would take more care of my books.

I know USPS has the registered mail option but that could take up to 2 weeks to be delivered yet provides the most security I think. And, unfortunately I’m on a time crunch since sdcc is just around the corner. My fault for delaying it but I finally decided.

Also, how do I get the grader notes for a book I submitted? Do I still have to purchase? Thanks!

Edited by rogue14
Added

If it is a high value book, USPS, as FedEx and UPS limit the amount they will cover.  Think it is 100 bucks or so.

To see graders notes on your submission, go to your registry set.  Move your mouse cursor over where it says Submit Now and a menu will show.  Click Submission Tracking.  Click the Invoice Number you want to see notes for.  It will list the books on the order and if there are any graders notes, there will be a link.  When you click the link, a little pop up box will show with the notes.

image.png.8c03d9faaed80588424fbb0a1183c388.png

Edited by aszumilo

6 minutes ago, aszumilo said:

If it is a high value book, USPS, as FedEx and UPS limit the amount they will cover.  Think it is 100 bucks or so.

To see graders notes on your submission, go to your registry set.  Move your mouse cursor over where it says Submit Now and a menu will show.  Click Submission Tracking.  Click the Invoice Number you want to see notes for.  It will list the books on the order and if there are any graders notes, there will be a link.  When you click the link, a little pop up box will show with the notes.

Thanks! Tried and didn’t see any information listed. Book was slabbed over a year ago so I guess it’s no longer in the system, and I’m pretty sure I don’t have any invoice information if I needed. 

Just now, rogue14 said:

Thanks! Tried and didn’t see any information listed. Book was slabbed over a year ago so I guess it’s no longer in the system, and I’m pretty sure I don’t have any invoice information if I needed. 

If you look just above the listed invoices, there is a search box.  Type the slab number into that box (drop off the last 3 numbers) and hit search.  It will show the invoice and you should be able to see the information for it.

So, if your slab number is 1234567001, you would type in 1234567.

image.png.6e462c180142064b28e11984dd70ad3a.png

3 minutes ago, aszumilo said:

If you look just above the listed invoices, there is a search box.  Type the slab number into that box (drop off the last 3 numbers) and hit search.  It will show the invoice and you should be able to see the information for it.

So, if your slab number is 1234567001, you would type in 1234567.

image.png.6e462c180142064b28e11984dd70ad3a.png

Awesome! 

Just tried and I guess I didn’t have an account when I submitted my book like I thought. :| o well, thanks for the information. I’ll keep this in mind for other submissions!

5 minutes ago, rogue14 said:

Awesome! 

Just tried and I guess I didn’t have an account when I submitted my book like I thought. :| o well, thanks for the information. I’ll keep this in mind for other submissions!

You might have the option to buy the grader's notes for $5.

Go to the CGC Verification page - https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx

Enter your slab number.  It will say whether the grader's notes are available or not.  If they are you'll see where you can go to buy them.

image.png.6ffb6ba8eca2d493d895de573182fe1b.png

You could use FedEx or UPS overnight if you have a separate insurance policy that covers you for slabs in transit. Otherwise your only option is USPS registered unless the slab is worth north of $50K. 

1 hour ago, aszumilo said:

You can pay for extra insurance with USPS.  I've had a package insured for $2k once.  I always go USPS Priority Mail and stuff the box with cardboard, bubble wrap, and packaging foam.  Shipping usually takes about 2 days if sending it across the US.  If more local (like from CA to NV), I've had the package arrive overnight.  Plus I get a tracking number.  All this for $25.  That's why I've never understood why Registered Mail takes 2 weeks and costs nearly double.

3 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

You can pay for extra insurance with USPS.  I've had a package insured for $2k once.  I always go USPS Priority Mail and stuff the box with cardboard, bubble wrap, and packaging foam.  Shipping usually takes about 2 days if sending it across the US.  If more local (like from CA to NV), I've had the package arrive overnight.  Plus I get a tracking number.  All this for $25.  That's why I've never understood why Registered Mail takes 2 weeks and costs nearly double.

Sounds good. I might just use this option and add insurance. I don’t plan on selling this book but trying to have a signature added so not sure of the exact cost. Probably going to take a look at gpa for an idea of value.

19 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

The max insurance you can get from USPS for Express or Priority is $5K.  So if you have a slab or package worth more than that, Registered Mail is your only option as it caps out at $50K. Plus it has step by step accountability along the way. 

17 minutes ago, DC|Marvel said:

The max insurance you can get from USPS for Express or Priority is $5K.  So if you have a slab or package worth more than that, Registered Mail is your only option as it caps out at $50K. Plus it has step by step accountability along the way. 

If only I had something worth 50k, that would be nice. I’m sure it will stay under 5k, probably closer to 3k at most, maybe.