• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Batman Adventures No 12
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I recently acquired a copy with water damage for Batman Adventures 12. I keep record for my comics and always like to put an aprox grade. When it comes to water damage i have no idea how that affects the comic grade. I hope you can help me.

The book has water damage on at the bottom of it. It has no wrinkles from the water exposure, just the stain left behind as you cans ee from the pictures. Aside from that there is a 1 inch tear on the second page. Other than that the book is flat with bright colors and almost no spine damage.

Thanks!

Batman Adventures No. 12 Interior 01.jpg

Batman Adventures No. 12 Interior 02.jpg

Batman Adventures No. 12 Interior 03.jpg

Batman Adventures No. 12 Interior 04.jpg

Batman Adventures No. 12 Interior 05.jpg

Batman Adventures No. 12 Interior 06.jpg

Batman Adventures No. 12 Interior 07.jpg

Batman Adventures No. 12 Front.jpg

Batman Adventures No. 12 Back.jpg

IMO without the stain and tear the book would be a FN/VF 7.0 however...

Due to the stain, small tear on an interior page and minor stress lines on the spine this book in its whole present condition would be a FN 6.0.

6.0 FINE (FN):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with no significant creasing or other serious defects. Some accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear apparent, with minor to moderate creases. Inks show a significant reduction in reflectivity. Blunted corners are more common, as is minor staining, soiling, discoloration, and/or foxing. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. A minor spine roll is allowed. There can also be a 1/4" spine split or severe color break. Staples may show minor discoloration. Minor staple tears and a few slight stress lines may be present, as well as minor rust migration. Paper is tan to brown and fairly supple with no signs of brittleness. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present. Centerfold may be loose

On 7/10/2018 at 7:45 AM, adampasz said:

I'm going to say 5.0. In my limited experience, CGC is pretty unforgiving about stains like the one shown.

@thirdgreenham's excellent grading contest last month had an ASM 194 that was similar to this but worse,,, and it received a grade of 4.0

so i think your BA 12 is probably a 5.0 

Believe it or not, these same discussions are probably taking place right now in other parts of the CGC universe...is it a 4.5 or a 5.5? Does the tear on the interior affect the grade? In cases like this one, I usually try to appease both sides by landing in the middle...but I like 4.5 on this one...  

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

Believe it or not, these same discussions are probably taking place right now in other parts of the CGC universe...is it a 4.5 or a 5.5? Does the tear on the interior affect the grade? In cases like this one, I usually try to appease both sides by landing in the middle...but I like 4.5 on this one...  

It's good to hear there is discussion in the grading room. Do you think there is less discussion currently because of the volume and TAT's ? It used to be advertised as inspected by 3 graders but now I think it's only two. I loved the earlier days when they would tell you what each of the 3 graders gave the book. That's how I learned the final grade is not determined by the average of the 3 graders. It's all up to the final grader. I once had a 9.8 changed by the final grader to 9.0 ! They said he found something on the side of the book that the other graders missed.

10 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

It's good to hear there is discussion in the grading room. Do you think there is less discussion currently because of the volume and TAT's ? It used to be advertised as inspected by 3 graders but now I think it's only two. I loved the earlier days when they would tell you what each of the 3 graders gave the book. That's how I learned the final grade is not determined by the average of the 3 graders. It's all up to the final grader. I once had a 9.8 changed by the final grader to 9.0 ! They said he found something on the side of the book that the other graders missed.

There were times when it got pretty quiet in the grading room, with everyone lost in their own private thoughts (or maybe that last part was a line from FF #1?) lol And I think it's interesting that even though there are more graders than ever before, you would think less people would see the book. I don't know for sure, but I would hope it would be more, not less. I do remember cases where we were all over the place on a book (thankfully that wasn't very often, because sometimes people would get pretty adamant about their grade, even though they were wrong lol. And you're absolutely right, the finalizer would have to make the final call (hence the term finalizer). That's one of the reasons why I like to really look a book over and make sure my grade is accurate, but even the best of us make mistakes (me included). That's why I like to ask other graders for their opinion. When two or three graders arrive at the exact same grade, it's much less stressful. And I don't believe the volume and TAT affect the grading process very much; it's a marathon, not a sprint. Stay the course brother, stay the course...