• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: Journey Into Unknown Worlds 13

8 posts in this topic

Another comic I submitted to CGC recently.

Really nice looking old comic.

It has what I consider to be a manufacturing flaw (I sure hope CGC agrees)... There are some staple holes way to the right of the spine on the front cover.  It makes it look like some one pulled the staples and restapled it at a later time (aka resto).  But the comic looks unread, so I believe there was a mistake in the stapling of the comic and the manufacturer pulled the 1st set and restapled.

The mark on the free edge of the back cover might be a felt tip marker?

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

I hope I'm wrong on this but I am suspicious of a married cover situation or staple replacement. The reason for my suspicions is on the back cover. Note, on the right, near the spine, you see indentations, about the size of a staple in length. It looks like a mark that would be left from a stapler without staples loaded. It's like they were positioning the staple placement in a dry run situation, seeing how they would line up ? Again, I hope I am wrong but this cover and the staples simply look too good to be true.

yeah, I really hope not for OP's sake, but I am learning heavily towards a restored book here.  The edges also seem like they were likely trimmed.  The staple holes scream restoration to me.  Those staple also look way too shiny for a book that old.  Just my 2 cents.  That being said, I would go with apparent 8.0

Now that you mention it, that overhang on the back cover is definitely suspicious...it doesn't look as if the cover actually matches the interior of the book. I have seen examples of "color copy covers" which were quite convincing...:flamed:

No, this is not a married cover.  The extra staple holes go thru all the front half pages, plus.... I can't go thru the whole story but I know this is an original owner comic, who didn't just get it off the rack, but his dad ran the general store that sold this comic originally.  It is literally an overstock comic that was left in the attic of the store and not sent back to the publisher as a remaindered comic.  It seems suspicious, but it checks out.  I just don't know how to tell CGC the whole story.