• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TEEN TITANS # 1
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Just dug this out of one of my many boxes.... It has a few issues and I would appreciate some expert opinions on grading this gem.  Small stain on top actually effects interior pages by leaving a spot that is actually slightly lighter than the pages themselves. Staples are clean, but there is slight stress and a bit of tearing at end of staples (hard to see). Binding is slightly rolled, but sits flat at bottom... All pages accounted for... no writing or other mischief that I can see.....

_MG_0523.jpg

_MG_0524.jpg

_MG_0525.jpg

_MG_0526.jpg

_MG_0527.jpg

_MG_0528.jpg

_MG_0529.jpg

_MG_0530.jpg

_MG_0531.jpg

_MG_0533.jpg

_MG_0535.jpg

_MG_0536.jpg

_MG_0538.jpg

First, let me congratulate you on the photos you took...nice job! Taking good pictures of the book certainly helps us to evaluate it. Second, that stain really affects my grade on this book. Because it goes through the book, I'm in the 5.0 area...

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

First, let me congratulate you on the photos you took...nice job! Taking good pictures of the book certainly helps us to evaluate it. Second, that stain really affects my grade on this book. Because it goes through the book, I'm in the 5.0 area...

(thumbsu  Normally, I would have said 5.5 at best but I just saw a recently graded book for sale by a Boardie that had a similar size stain. The rest of the book was in much worse shape with some tanning and tears. The book was graded 5.5 . This book is in much nicer shape overall so I was doing comparison grading. (shrug) For the record, I think CGC is much too lenient in this grade range. They need to tighten up !

Edited by Bomber-Bob

Thanks for the opinions... a real help... What do you all think a pressing and cleaning would do to the grade.... and is that, along with slabbing worthwhile?

4 minutes ago, jokiing said:

Thanks for the opinions... a real help... What do you all think a pressing and cleaning would do to the grade.... and is that, along with slabbing worthwhile?

I already said a press and dry clean would help this book but, of course, the stain would still be there. It would get rid of the wrinkles at the site of the stain. I would slab it.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I already said a press and dry clean would help this book but, of course, the stain would still be there. It would get rid of the wrinkles at the site of the stain. I would slab it.

Yes... would definitely want to clean and press if I was to slab it.... What I was really wondering was whether the book was a good candidate for all this fuss.... and if you would slab it, well then, that answers that question. I'll probably send it in with next round to CGC. Thanks.

12 minutes ago, jokiing said:

Yes... would definitely want to clean and press if I was to slab it.... What I was really wondering was whether the book was a good candidate for all this fuss.... and if you would slab it, well then, that answers that question. I'll probably send it in with next round to CGC. Thanks.

Keep in mind, this book is not the big hitter like your ASM 129. It's a hot book that is desirable but, at this grade level, there will be less interest in it raw. I think you may be able to get 100.00 raw but slabbed probably 200 or more. Since you are sending it in for pressing anyway, I would get it slabbed. Who knows, maybe it will grade higher than we thought ! (thumbsu