• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where's Heritage's "Scene Report" (or whatever it's called) in the new OSPG?

2 posts in this topic

If you are referring to Heritage's usual annual market report for the price guide, it looks like Lon Allen and Barry Sandoval did not bother to submit one for this year's edition of the guide.  In fact, it looks like there are fewer pages dedicated to the market reports this year, but still over 100 pages of them.  No wonder why it took me almost the entire year to plow my way through all of those reports.

Haven't really read many of the market reports yet, but the one that caught my eye was the one by Dr. Steven Kahn who appears to be a new advisor to the guide from the class of 2017.  What caught my attention was a couple of sub-titles in his market report, namely "What To Do When It's Time To Pass On Your Collection" and also "How a Comic Book or Series Becomes Uncollectible".  Definitely not the typical rah-rah cheer leading and hotly hyped market report that we are normally used to seeing from virtually all of the other Overstreet advisors.

A much more down to earth take on your comic book collection.  Shudder to think that as predictable as death and taxes, your loved ones will almost assuredly disposed of your collection lickety split just like that once you are gone.  His take is that they barely tolerated it while you were living with them and may in fact, actually have a lot of pent up resentment towards your collection due to all of the time spent on the collection and not on the family.  Finally......the day they've been waiting for!!! :taptaptap:  :devil:

He also appears to be bang on with respect to most comic books collections.  Yes, there is definite interest in the keys when it comes time to dispose of your collection.  But how about the other 99+% of your comic book collection which you have spent decades carefully storing and lovingly taking care of.  There just may not be as much interest (if any if fact) in them as what you were hoping for.  I guess this is where the old axiom about making sure that "you love what you collect" comes into play.  (thumbsu